Monday 19 November 2012

18/11/12 - Lands End - Johns

Weight - 33lb 12oz (6lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 8 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 2 F1, 2 Roach, 1 Crucian, 1 Tench
Weather - Frosty start. Bright clear day.
Match - Open - 6th out of 16

Originally todays match was going to be only on Johns (no3) Lake, but with 16 booked in it was decided to have 4 pegs on Speci.

Following yesterdays mild day, this morning we were greeted by a frost and the prospect of a hard day with bright sunshine and a light breeze. I was reasonable happy with 58 since it can throw up a few fish, but after a cold night I suspected the fish would be happier at the bottom end of the lake.

Just 2 rigs today since it was the same depth all over. A HB frostie 0.3g > .10 > 18 silverfish pellet & a HB shindig 0.2g > .12 > 18B911. I also set up a 4x12 jolly to fish maggot, but that only got used for about 2mins.

The 3 main areas targeted were 13m to my right by the bramble bush, 14m in open water and the corner of the island. Usually this area of the lake only produces a few silvers, so carp would be the main focus, but I couldn’t see them feeding all match, so I wanted to cover my bases, hence the relatively light rigs.

A pinch of groundbait with a few micros was deposited in the open water. Whilst that settled I searched the swim with a piece of corn. Except for a few liners nothing showed, so started to catapult 6-8 4mm pellet into the other 2 swims to hopefully entice a few fish to feed later.

The open water swim started well enough on soft pellet, by toss potting a pinch of pellet, I caught a couple of skimmers, F1s and a crucian, but had to be patient, because you would wait 5-10mins before the float would go under.

As the match progressed, it became obvious there wasn’t too many fish willing to feed. I did try maggot, but that only produced a tiny roach, so struck with soft pellet which was still producing the odd fish.

I had my first carp from the right hand swim, but at less than 1lb it went into the silvers net. However I started picking up the a few better carp from the open water & RH swims all on soft pellet. The corner of the island only produced 1 carp, which was a surprise, because there was a few fish milling around, but they just didn’t want to feed. I even tried dumping ½ a cup of maggot & caster, without success.

Going into the last hour I was hoping the fish would feed late in the fading light. In fact it was dire, with only 1 small roach that had managed to whittle down the pellet. In the end I was quite pleased to have caught what I did and it was the best weight at the top end of the lake, however all the better weights came from the bottom end.

1st 58- 0 – Mark Walsh – p41
2nd 49- 2 – Tom Mangoll – p68
3rd 47- 3 – Adrian Jefferies – p45
4th 43-11 – Allan Oram – p31
5th 34-12 – Nick Merry – p65
6th 33-12 – Ken Rayner – p58

Silvers
1st 14-12 – Tom Mangoll – p68
2nd 12- 4 – Mark Brennan – p25
3rd 10- 0 – p70

No comments: