Monday 12 November 2012

11/11/12 - Fishponds

Weight - 223lb 1oz
Catch - 35 Carp
Weather - Overnight frost. Bright, sunny day
Match - Club - 1st out 8

I forgot to mention is yesterday’s blog that I passed my exam, which now means I have my diploma and will be able to continue to provide financial advice in the new year! The reputation of the financial services industry has taken a battering in recent years, however all advisers MUST be diploma status (equivalent to a university degree) before they can advice from next year. So there has been a big effort to promote a more professional industry, which it certainly is, as well as being very tightly regulated. The cost of this professionalism and increased regulation? With effect from 1/1/2013 there will be a fundamental shift from commission to an adviser fee, which is all well and good, however the negative aspect is likely to put those that really need financial advice are unlikely to be able to afford it.

Today’s match was originally scheduled to be on the deep stretch of the river at Reybridge, but access is a real bugger and with all the recent rain it was now nearly impossible. So it was switched to our club lake, which I wasn’t disappointed about.

Following an overnight frost and a forecast for a sunny, windless day, we were all expecting a difficult day. As it turned out we need not have worried, because the lake fished surprisingly well.

Peg 6 was my home for the day. I settled on 1 pole rig (HB dweezil 0.3g > 0.16 > 16 B911) to fish 9m left and right in 7ft of water. I also set up a Loaded Insert Waggler to fish 20m out in 8ft of water and a straight lead rod, but that never got used.

After feeding 4s & corn over my pole lines, it was straight out with the waggler, but with nothing to show for my efforts after 15mins, it was time to try the pole. In the meantime Tim on p10 already had 3 carp on soft pellet.

Over the next couple of hours I caught consistently, mostly on corn and 6mm expander, feeding a pouch of 4s & a few bits of corn after each fish. When the swims slowed, I would try the waggler, which I had been feeding with 6s & corn, but I didn’t catch here until the last couple of hours, with 6 carp coming to the waggler & corn.

A relatively trouble free match. I felt I was leading the way, but was aware that Glenn was catching around the corner on peg 3. Come the end he was admitting to 30 carp and 1 bream, so unless he had really big fish I was the winner.

1st 223- 1 – Ken – p6
2nd 195-15 – Glenn – p3
3rd 160- 1 – Marcus – p19
4th 147- 2 – Tim – p10
5th 110-10 – Chris – p5

No comments: