Sunday 11 November 2012

10/11/12 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 34lb 2oz (12lb 12oz - silvers)
Catch - 5 Carp, 31 Perch, 15 Roach, 2 Skimmers
Weather - Mostly sunny.
Match - Open - 2nd out of 6

A disappointing turnout, but hopefully numbers will increase once the winter league starts.

There was only one peg I didnt want, peg 15 and I was less than impressed when I found myself there again. At least I knew the contours of the peg and set up similar to last week, with the addition of another rig (powertrap 0.2g > .16 > 16 B911) to fish the other side of the bush to my right on double corn.

With no ripple and clear water this match was always going to be difficult and with only 6 of us the fish had plenty of space to sulk away.

I started the match on corn looking for an early carp, but never had a liner. In the meantime Mike West on 17 had 2, whilst Mark on 7 and Nick on 19 had 1.

Time to try the island and I caught a couple of fish on caster, but they werent coming very quickly, probably unsettled by the sun & clear water. A switch to my left fishing under the tree resulted in a run of perch all on caster, but I was aware Nick seemed to be catching some better silvers.

I had a decent skimmer on 4mm expander over my micro/grounbait line which I had kept topped up every 30mins with a pinch of bait. 15mins later I hooked another, but bumped it when my elastic somehow wrapped around the pole tip. Needless to say I never had another from that swim.

Back onto the perch and I was struggling to keep them on the hook. It didnt help that I had to strike sideway when fishing to my left, however the average size was only 3-4oz and I really needed some quality.

With 2hrs to go and only 10lb in the net, I felt it was time to go looking for carp again. If I could get a run together it wont take long to catch up, becuase not many had shown so far. Time to be bold saw me throw a big hand of pellet and corn. 20mins later I put in a rig, really to have a cup of coffee, which I nearly spilt when the float went under and the carp was trying to snag me in the bush. Well that cheered me up. Another 3 from there meant I was back in the running.

I had also been catapulting 4s 14m to my left all match and eventually the swim showed signs of life in the fading light, with a decent skimmer on pellet, before losing a carp. 5mins from time my 5th and decisive carp was caught on corn.

A difficult match for everyone. Mark won from last weeks winning peg and he had much better quality fish. His 17-3 of silvers was made up of 6 skimmers, 2 perch and a few roach, plus he had 4 carp.

1st 44-13 - Mark Poppleton - p7
2nd 34- 2 - Ken Rayner - p15
3rd 32-10 - Mike West - p17
4th 31- 0 - Nick Merry - p19
5th 17- 0 - Jim Jenner - p21
6th 16- 4 - Dave Wescott - p5

Silvers
1st - 17- 3 - Mark Poppleton
2nd - 17- 0 - Nick Merry

No comments: