Thursday 9 August 2012

08/08/12 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 41lb 6oz
Catch - 12 Carp, 5 Roach, 3 Perch, 1 Ide, 1 Chub, 1 Crucian, 1 Skimmer, 1 Rudd
Weather - Warm, muggy and still
Match - Avon Angling Open - 6th out of 11

It wasn't intentional to book 2 weeks off work to co-incide with the Olympics, but I'm glad I did (although I'm not sure Sue is!). There has been some great performances from the GB team and we have already exceeded our Beijing total. Just wish I had been able to book tickets, maybe I'll try for Rio?!

Another change in the weather, becoming much warmer and hardly any wind, meant a difficult match was likely and that's the way it turned out.

When I drew peg 11, I had to have a smile to myself. Its amazing how often I draw here, yet peg 19 I've only had twice in 6 years. Anyway at least I know how to fish the peg, so deciding where to fish was easy.

There was a few fish moving around the island and I went straight over to the point of the island with meat, toss potting a few cubes and soon had 3 carp within 1/2 hour, but then lost 3 foul hookers and they disappeared.

Potting caster has worked well for me in the last couple of visits and I had deposited caster by the small bush, but the fish didn't settle properly, so decided to try catching shallow on caster or worm, catapulting caster, but that didn't work either, so gave that up as a bad job.

Things must be difficult if I cant catch on caster. I eventually had a few by regularly toss potting caster and waiting for a bite, but the carp were on the small side. I had kept pinging pellet and meat to the point of the island and had the odd fish, but they were just swimming through and I lost a few foul hookers.

My back up swims failed to produce. My meat line by the lillies to my right produced a roach, the 8m pellet line produced more roach and a small skimmer and the under the pallet of p10 produced a small carp.

In the past I usually have a good last 90mins fishing the point of the island, as the fish settle over the constant pinging of pellet, but not today. The fish just didn't want to feed and even the silvers were conspicuous by their absent. Except for Adrian on peg 7, I had the best weight down this end of the lake.

1st 103- 4 - Adrian Clark - peg 7
2nd 94- 7 - Martin Lenaghan - peg 19
3rd 91- 8 - Tony Rixon - peg 24
4th 85-11 - Mike West - peg 22
5th 84-13 - Adrian Jefferies - peg 3
6th 41- 6 - Ken Rayner - peg 11

Silvers
1st 23-10 - Adrian Jefferies - peg 3
2nd 14-12 - Kev Molton - peg 13
3rd 12- 8 - Tony Rixon - peg 24

No comments: