Thursday 1 September 2011

31/08/11 - Cuckoos Rest

Weight – 20lb 4oz
Catch – 62 Roach, 26 Bream, 4 Rudd, 1 Carp
Weather – Sunny with a slight breeze

Today Mark & I decided to put in a practice session in preparation for Saturdays match, run by local Andy Fox who had paid for the lake, which would mean a 100% pools payout. As a consequence the match is oversubscribed with 25 anglers and I really hope a few drop out, since the fishing will be hard with that number on the lake.

When we arrived there were a couple more who had the same idea and according to Mark the lake was very busy on Monday as well. Andy Fox also turned up later in the day for a practice and thanks Andy for your comments regarding my blog, glad you enjoy it.

Mark & I resisted the temptation of fishing the flyers and settled on the left hand bank. I wanted to concentrate on the roach, because the last match I fished in July I felt I didn’t make the most of the short line.

Well, I had a nice days fishing. Starting on the deck, fishing over groundbait at 5m produced but the better roach definitely came shallow. I also fished pellet at 13m over 3 & 4mm pellet, catching mostly skimmers up to 1½lb.

Mark concentrated on fishing the pellet and although he had to leave an hour earlier still had about 18lb, thanks to a couple of better skimmers/bream. We both tried different feeding patterns and the practice was worthwhile, because more anglers arrived during the day, so it gave a more realistic view of how the lake will fish.

On Saturday at least there will be 3 sections along the 3 banks, so if you don’t draw the right hand side flyers, at least you still have a chance of picking up some coin, although I think any peg that provides you with some space will be crucial.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheers Ken Good to meet you at last. My grand plan of waggler and worm long proved a disaster after working a treat on Monday as you saw so back to the drawing board, but it did help watching you and Mark sort it out & discussing tactics! I eventually got into plenty of roach, some decent plus some skimmers at about 5m on caster just to confuse even more! So have a feeling the inside line will play a part tommorow. See you then, Andy