Monday 29 August 2011

28/08/11 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight – 66lb 4oz
Catch – 13 Carp, 1 Bream.
Weather – Sunshine & showers. Windy.
Match – Tony’s Float Only

The post script for many of my matches this summer seems to be must try harder and today was unfortunately no different, although on the positive side at least I’m learning and on the whole understanding my mistakes.

Today I reluctantly guested for Tony’s league. Not fishing Viaduct regularly immediately puts me at disadvantage against those who do fish and its 1 of those venues I haven’t really got to grips with.

I found myself on Campbell p115, which meant nothing to me, although I was told it was in a good area. So after some advice, decided to fish paste at 6m, pellet/meat on the deck at 14m and pellet waggler at 25m.

The 1st half of the match was disaster with only 3 carp at 14m and 1 on the pellet waggler. I had been feeding mostly 6mm over the pole line, but I couldn’t work out how to feed, since the food drew the fish in but getting them to take the bait was challenging. I thought I sussed it by feeding ½ a cup instead of catapulting or toss potting, but the fish just didn’t settle.

My 6m line was also proving frustrating, because I couldn’t hit the bites, which I assume were silvers.

To be honest, I was being too stubborn about fishing on the deck. Initially with the forecast wind and the cool overnight temperatures I didn’t fancy it for shallow fishing, but I got that very wrong with most anglers around me catching shallow.

The 2nd half of the match was much better. I decided to concentrate at 14m fishing with a long line dibber. Strangely I caught better when the wind dropped. I did eventually catch 1 carp on the paste 5 mins from the end.

Disappointed with the result, but pleased to have sussed (well partially) it. Had I caught as much in the 1st 3hrs, as I did in the 2nd 3hrs I would have posted a very competitive weight. Also in hindsight feeding 8mm, instead on 6mm’s would have been better and would have probably made it easier to catch on the deck.

No comments: