Monday 15 August 2011

13/08/11 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 51lb 2oz (12lb 6oz – silvers)
Catch – 28 Perch, 8 Carp, 6 Bream, 4 Roach
Weather – Mostly cloudy & muggy
Match – Open – 5th out of 14 (2nd – silvers)

I decided to fish today instead of Thursdays Evening Open at Rood Ashton, which just as well since only 3 turned up at Rood Ashton, so I won’t be going there again this summer.

Today I found myself on peg 7, not 1 of my favourites, since it flatters to deceive. There is always loads of fish moving around, but as soon as you throw in your keepnet, they tend to bugger off. Perhaps it because it’s the shallowest & narrowest part of the lake.

Anyway, when I arrived there was plenty (as per usual) of carp moving around. Decided to focus on the far bank towards the point of the island at 16m, fishing hair rigged 6 & 8mm pellet. I also deposited some 3mm’s at 8m to my left and started firing 6mm’s to my right at the bottom of the shelf.

On the all in I went straight over towards the point of the island and soon hooked a carp, but it broke me at the knot on my hooklength – doh angler error! I quickly attached a new one, when I noticed a carp cruising just in front of me, which gratefully accepted the hair rigged pellet and at 8lb it made up for the lost one. Another 2 carp followed from the point of the island, before it got very difficult. Talk around the lake was it was fishing hard and with just over an hour gone my 3 carp was leading the way, but I couldn’t get another and since everyone seemed to be struggled, decided to switch to fishing caster & worm on top of the shelf in front, whilst stilled pinging pellet towards the point of the island.

Over the next couple of hours I caught plenty of perch up 12oz mostly on worm, although I was disappointed not to catch some better fish, but at least I was catching.

I had been feeding the 8m line to my left with 3mms, but this only produced a few small fish and not the expected skimmers. I had periodically tried the point of the island and eventually caught 3 on the bounce, thinking I had it sussed, before they disappeared again, although I did have a couple more later on.

The problem was I wasn’t catching enough and going anywhere. I felt I was getting the most out of the peg, but the fish definitely seemed to be on the other side of the lake. Time to try 14m to my right where I had been continually feeding 6mms. Fishing a hair rigged 8mm pellet I was expecting a carp when the float went under, but it was a 2lb skimmer. In fact another 3 skimmers soon followed on 6mm pellet, before losing a foul hooked carp.

Come the weigh in I had the best weight from our side of the lake, but the top 4 weights including the best silvers came from the other side. My “accidental” silvers beat Dave Wescott by 6oz to claim 2nd spot in the silvers & £25. So those perch were worth going after and it was nice to have a change of luck.

1st 101- 2 - Lewis Jones – p17
2nd 80- 1 – Martin Pettifer – p24 (tried to catch silvers, but there was too many carp!)
3rd 74- 6 – Mark Poppleton – P21
4th 66- 7 – Rod Wootton – p18
5th 51- 2 – Ken Rayner – p7
6th 44- 4 – Dave Wescott – p1

Silvers
1st 14-12 – Andy Hembrow – p15
2nd 12- 6 – Ken Rayner – p7

2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

I see SLider is still drawing well lol!

Fishingken said...

he is rarely away from the fish. But be to fair he is fishing well at the moment