Sunday 18 September 2011

17/09/11 - Fishponds

Weight – 108lb 2oz
Catch – 14 Carp
Weather – Mostly sunny, with cloudy periods and odd shower.
Match – Club (Rod & Reel Only) – 5th out of 9

Well it’s Sunday morning as I write this blog and I should be fishing at Todber Manor, however I pulled my back during this match and now just walking is painful.

Fortunately todays match was rod & reel only, so no constant twisting and turning when shipping back a pole. The day started off ok, I had hoped to draw in the wind so I could fish the pellet waggler and drew peg 18 which was just on the edge of the wind.

Started on the method feeder at 20m, pinging pellet over the top, but after 20mins all I had was a few liners to show for my efforts, before a couple of fish showed themselves on the surface. So enough of the feeder and switched to pellet waggler and caught immediately.

75mins into the match I landed my 5th carp and as I lifted the carp out of the water I felt a sharp pain in the base of my back in the same spot that caused me so many problems 14 months ago.

I managed to keep going for the remaining 3¾hrs catching all my fish on the pellet waggler. I had drawn fish into the swim, but the wind direction meant there was very little ripple to fish into and as a consequence the fish proved to be very cagey despite trying different rigs and varying my feed pattern.

In the end I was just glad for the match to finish. All the better weights had followed the wind, but to be honest whilst I could have caught a few more fish I wouldn’t have beaten Glenn’s 231lb which he caught on the pellet feeder.

This is the 1st time I haven’t framed here for nearly 2 years, so a really good run, but like all good runs, they have to end. Well done to Glenn who today got the tactics right with the pellet feeder which very nearly beat my match record of 239lb.

My back probably means I won’t be fishing for a couple of week, which is probably just as well since I need to do some revision for another exam.

No comments: