Saturday 8 October 2011

07/10/11 - Trinity Waters - Woodlands Lake

Weight – 50lb 6oz
Catch – 8 Carp, 5 Skimmers, 1 Tench, 1 Roach
Weather – Showery, strong NW wind

Well my back injury wasn’t quite as bad as first feared. I did go fishing last weekend at the Winterbourne Duck Pond just to see how it felt and successful came though a busy session catching small skimmers. Sadly there was a major fish kill at the pond since last year, which has meant the majority of the big skimmers and carp have died, however there seemed to be plenty of 1-3oz skimmers, plus a few 2oz carp of various colours (discarded pets?).

Today’s session was about practicing for Sunday’s club match. I haven’t been to Woodlands lake since all the landscaping and what a change, although I’m not sure about the individual pegs being set back into little bays.

Tim Allen from our club decided to join me and as they say 2 heads are better than 1. I had already been told of the better areas, but decided to settle on p27, which is an average peg in the middle of the lake. With the strong wind, it would also give me a chance to sort out some pole rigs.

Initially started on the method, but mixed the green swim stim and micros separately so I could mix and match to see what worked. After 45mins I had tried meat, hard pellet, soft pellet and maggot without success. Tim in the meantime had 2 carp on a standard cage feeder with corn on the hook, so I opened a tin and hey presto a carp! Another carp followed shortly after, but the cold wind was having an effect on the fishing.

I deliberately didn’t want to target the silvers, since Sundays match wouldn’t have a silvers payout, so the 6m line was fed with 4mm & corn, as were the margins. Started with a 0.8g rig, but it wasn’t longer before I tried 1.25g rig due to the tow, which did produce a few skimmers, plus a near 2lb tench on red maggot. Although I stayed with it for a while the pole just wasn’t working due to the windy conditions.

After 2hrs a local old boy turned up, who knew “everything” and with the whole lake to choose from promptly set up next to me on peg 26. With Tim on the other side it now meant the margin I had started feeding could now be redundant, particularly now he started crashing about. I tried explaining to him what I was trying to do, but being a know it all he reckoned it wouldn’t make a difference. Muppet!

Since the pole line wasn’t working (including the margin which I had feed for 3hrs), I concentrated on the feeder, I had set up 2 rigs, 1x method feeder and 1x pellet feeder, fishing 17 turns out, so a gentle lob. The method was the better way to go and I found by moulding more micro pellet, then groundbait seemed to get bites quicker. Also corn was the best bait, although according to “know it all” corn doesn’t work.

Unfortunately I lost a few carp on the feeder, a couple when the free running feeder bounced the fish off the hook. I also lost a few when the hooklength snapped. Really not a fan of the method, but sometimes needs must, so a softer rod and stronger hooklengths for Sunday.

A worthwhile practice, but I think I will be a happier if I draw the other side. Tim also had 30lb.

No comments: