Monday 12 September 2011

10/09/11 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 77lb 6oz
Catch – 17 Carp, 9 Roach, 5 Perch, 3 Bream, 1 Tench, 1 Crucian, 1 Rudd
Weather – Sunny, with cloudy periods. Windy.
Match – Open – 2nd out of 9

With heavy winds forecast I was in 2 minds about fishing Lands End today, however I was persuaded by the fact the winds were coming from the south which means Match Lake should be mostly sheltered.

12 had booked in, but only 9 turned up, so plenty of spaces for the fish hide away! I found myself on peg 11, which has shown some recent form with 66lb coming off it in the last match. This is 1 peg I have drawn more than any other, yet I’ve only had 19 once in 5 years – bitter, no not me!

With so much space, today would be a case of drawing the fish to you. The next peg to my left was peg 5 and I had Clint Wotlyla opposite on 13.

Decided to feed 6mm’s towards the point of the island and fish caster to the left by the bush. Also fed 3 & 4mm’s at 11.5m in the open water at 1o’clock and finally 6mm’s in front of the pallet on 10.

The opening hour was very quiet, with only a few silvers to show on double caster by the island and a tench on 11.5m on 4mm expander. However the carp were beginning to show themselves by the island over the pellet. I had 1 on 8mm, but then nothing as they spooked off.

The 11.5m swim produced a crucian and a few bits, plus a flying skimmer that managed to throw the hook midflight, but this line failed to produce.

On the point of the point island I was toss potting caster and pellet, fishing double caster and this resulted in a 4 or 5 carp, before I started getting bitted out by roach. At 1 point I saw 3 carp around my float, before it buried and out comes a 1oz roach! Since there was more carp in the swim, helped by the fact Clint had stopped feeding towards the island, I went back to fishing either 6 or 8mm pellet. Found it best to catapult feed over at 14m on the corner, ship out to 16m past the small bush on the point, then just gentle lift and drop, occasionally the carp would have the pellet in its mouth as I lifted.

As more carp settled in the swim I caught more at 14m and with 45mins to go I had 10 carp all from the island, which seemed to be doing OK. Despite feeding in front of peg 10 all match this swim only produced 1 skimmer and a lost carp. According to Clint, Martin Lenaghan on peg 16 had been catching solidly for 3hrs. Those last 45mins however the carp properly turned up and I had a further 7 to sneak into 2nd place.

1st 145-15 – Martin Lenaghan – p16
2nd 77-6 – Ken Rayner – p11
3rd 73-12 – Kev Molton – p19
4th 58-11 – Dave Wescott – p5

Silver
1st 35- 0 – Nigel Bartlett – p21
2nd 21- 4 – Dave Wescott – p5
3rd 21- 2 – Clint Wotlyla – p13

No comments: