Wednesday 1 April 2009

29/03/09 - Lands End - Speci Lake

Weight – 20lb 9oz
Catch – 21 Roach, 10 Perch, 8 Chub, 4 Rudd, 3 F1, 1 Bream, 1 Crucian.
Weather – Sunny, slight breeze.
Water Temp– 10.5c > 10.5c
Match – Lands End Winter League rd 8 – 16th overall, 4th in section, 1st in Silvers

After the last round, I needed to finish the series with a section win or 2nd to get back into the top 7.
I was on Speci Lake and I needed to draw either end of the lake, so I was distraught when I found myself on peg 36, smack in the middle of the lake and based on results so far in the series the worse performing peg.

Oh well, I had to give it a go, because you never know. For what it was worth Rod Wootton, Mike Duckett, Nicky Collier and Kev Molton were all in the same section between pegs 25 & 32, so at least they would be taking points of each other, but I knew deep down I needed a get out of jail free card!

Whilst setting up it became obvious that Nicky's peg was solid, when he foul hooked a double figure carp on a bare hook, in the top lip!

On the all in, I cupped in some micro pellet 13m at the bottom of the far shelf and caster at 6m. I started off fishing tight to the island hoping for an early carp, but after 15mins had no indications. A switch to the 13m the line and I started to get indications straight away, soon landing a F1. Over the next hour I added another 2 F1’s and a skimmer, all on pellet, however the bright flat conditions meant the fish weren’t biting confidently and more importantly no carp. In the meantime Chris Konieczwy on peg 34 landed a foul hooked 12lb grass carp and Mike West in peg 40 also landed a carp, so I was already behind.

With no signs of carp in my swim, I had a decision to make. I could have waited it out for the carp, but I would struggle to compete against the end of lake pegs. So I decided concentrate on the silvers, hopefully picking up some coin and with any luck a carp or 2 late on.

I had kept the caster going in at 6m, as well as down my left hand margin and finally I cupped some caster tight to the island next to a small bush. My 6m line only yielded small roach and it didn’t matter whether I put on maggot or caster, although I caught slightly bigger roach at half depth, but again the bright, flat conditions were having an effect. My margin didn’t produce a bite on caster, which was a surprise

The only place I could catch properly was tight to the island, which was shaded from the bright sun. Since I was beginning to run out of caster (had 1½pt) I decided to stop feeding my 6m line and swap my feed to micro pellet & 4mm down my left hand margin and 4mm pellet & corn down my right hand margin.

I kept drip feeding my 13m line with micros & 4mm pellet, hoping for the F1 & skimmers to return. In the meantime my island swim was getting stronger, by toss potting caster with some atomic worm. Although I had to occasionally wait for bites, it was usually a decent fish (chub up 1¾lb, roach & perch to over a pound), using mostly double caster and occasionally double maggot. If I put on a single caster or maggot it got nailed by tiny roach and 15m is a long way to go for a 1oz fish.

As the swim slowed I rotated my other swims, but could only catch a chub and a crucian over my pellet lines, but still no carp.

During the weigh in Nicky was doing his best to wind up Mike, who struggled on a flyer (peg 31) and started throwing his toys out of his pram, because he might drop out of the top 7 (know how he feels!). Anyway Mike managed to stay in the top 7, so he was much happier when the final results were calculated.

As for me, I ended up having an enjoyable day. In a funny sort way, knowing I had drawn so badly took the pressure off. Winning the silvers was some consolation, but I would have preferred to finish the league in the top 7. Instead I finished 11th overall, which if I am honest is disappointing, however I was a little unlucky with some draws, although there was 2 matches were I should have done better.

Well done to Adrian Clarke who only dropped 1 point over 8 matches to pick up £550.

No comments: