Saturday 18 April 2009

16/04/09 - Winterbourne Duck Pond

Weight – 35lb 9oz
Catch – 59 Bream, 1 Roach, 1 Common Carp.
Weather – Cloudy, showery. Heavy rain to finish

The Duck Pond is situated on a road junction, has 3 small islands the depth ranged from 1ft to 3ft and you only fit a handful of people around it. So why would I fish here?

The pond is only 10 minutes from the office and during a lunch break a few weeks ago a chance meeting with Dave Tierney revealed the pond was now free fishing. The last time I fished here was 5 years ago, when the pond was looked after by my former club Frome Vale AC. However it appears that Winterbourne Parish Council were making more demands on the club in terms of looking after the pond, that Frome Vale decided to give up their rights.

I caught my first double figure carp here and it was where I learned about fishing for carp. My best weight from the pond was 70lb of mainly carp and since the pond was only 10 minutes from the office, I thought it could be an ideal venue for a summers early morning session. However, was it still worth fishing? As usual I had 2 different opinions. Dave said there was still loads of skimmers in the pond, as well as the carp. Whilst someone else suggested loads of carp had been removed.

I had the week off to revise for my exam next week and needed a break. So decided on an afternoon session. I set myself up on what I call the bus stop swim, because it’s next to a bus stop. Settled on 2 swims, the 1st was 10m along the wall, which runs parallel with the road and the 2nd was 16-18m towards the island, fishing the waggler.

Bait was either double red maggot or Tony Rixons jelly pellets. Feed was 4mm coarse pellet. I prefer to use the waggler here mainly because it less likely to get in the way of the general public and for that reason I tend not to fish the pole any longer than 10m. Also I use my less expensive J27, instead of my N47.

I started on the pole and soon started to catch skimmers up to 1¾lb on maggot. A switch to the waggler resulted in more skimmers, but they were on average smaller than on the pole. As the session progressed, I started to catch on pellet, but this didn’t improve the average size, either on the pole or waggler. As the session drew to a conclusion I concentrated more on the pellet hoping for a carp, but other than 1 weighing 12oz on the waggler I had no others. You usually see the carp moving round, but I didn’t see any signs, so perhaps they have been removed.

Today was an enjoyable distraction from my revision and I will back to see whether there are any carp left.

No comments: