Saturday 25 April 2009

24/04/09 - Winterbourne Duck Pond

Weight – 17lb 0oz
Catch – 26 Bream, 2 Hybrid, 1 Common Carp.
Weather – Mostly sunny, but cool. Strong southerly wind.
Water Temp– 14.5c > 15.0c


At last the revision is over, the exam was yesterday and I’ll get my results in 6 weeks.


I organised a day off to go fishing with Mark on the Kennet & Avon Canal at Devizes to hopefully catch the resident tench & bream. Unfortunately being a canal to get the most from it, an early start was required, so the alarm was set for 4.30 and the car was loaded up the night before.


To be honest I really didn’t want an early start, because I felt wiped out from the exam and revision. So when I was woken up by a text from Mark at 2am saying he was ill (some dodgy sushi the day before), I was disappointed because Devizes offers some great fishing. However on the other hand I welcomed the opportunity for a lie in, assuming I could get back to sleep, which I couldn’t!


So I thought sod it, might as well go fishing. Mark had some of my bait, so I only had pellet available and I didn’t fancy driving too far.



Decided to fish the duck pond again, because I wanted to see if the carp were still around. Tactics were similar to last time and my only concern was, would only fishing pellet effect my catch?



As the session progressed, I caught mostly on the waggler, but the fish weren’t really turned on to the pellet and I was fairly certain that if I had a few maggots I would have caught much more. So I finished a little disappointed, particularly after last weeks session.


As for those carp, the 1 I caught only weighed a pound. A walk around the pond tells its own story. Being only shallow, the water colour used to be is very coloured with the carp churning up the bottom, but now there is a certain clarity, which suggests the volume of carp in the pond isn't as it used to be.



The pair of Canadian Geese pictured have 7 very young chicks. I wondered whether they were on some sort of sucide mission, because they seemed to think the road was an extension of the pond, stopping traffic on a couple of occasion as they wandered around. At one point I had to get up and usher them back to the pond.

No comments: