Friday 12 December 2008

28/11-30/11 - Stafford Moor

For the first time ever, the last thing I wanted to do was spend a long weekend away fishing at Stafford Moor. The stress of work etc, meant I felt like absolute crap, however I had to fish rounds 5 & 6 of the Veals Winter League, which normally I would relish.

On Friday I practised on Woodpecker peg 32, fishing the lead & trying for the first time the "tea bag". I didn’t have to think too hard about the fishing and finished with 6 carp for 41½lb, 5 on the lead and 1 on the full depth waggler.

Saturday saw me on Tanners peg 34. I finished with 12lb 11oz of silvers, however in what was a very tight section, I was only 3lb away from coming 4th overall in the silvers. Had I struck with catching the silvers for the whole match I would have probably come 5th in section instead of 2nd to last. I spent too long searching for a carp that weren’t feeding in very cold conditions.

Sunday I was on Woodpecker peg 8, which wasn’t a great draw and it was even colder overnight, than the previous night. My silver fish line only yielded small roach, so I spent more time than I should have trying for a carp, simply because it didn’t require too much thought. Again, had I been up for it and concentrated I would have probably come about half way in section.

I am really disappointed with this weekend, not just because I was ill, but I have now slipped to 21st in the individual league and I have absolutely no doubt had I fished to my full potential I would have done much better, particularly on Saturday.

No comments: