Monday 15 December 2008

14/12/08 - Ivy House - Small Lake

Weight – 7lb 7oz
Catch – 8 Roach, 4 Rudd, 2 Bream, 1 Mirror Carp, 1 Perch.
Weather – Cold, cloudy and calm.
Water temp – 6.0c > 6.0c
Match – Glenfall Xmas Match – 3rd overall

As well as being our Christmas match, this was also the final of the knockout competition, where Andy Lord, Kev Millard and myself had qualified.

Upon arriving, the ice had obviously melted away from 2 days ago, however following yesterday’s heavy rain meant the platforms were underwater and the lake was very coloured, thanks to the nearby brook bursting its banks.

Speaking to Andy, who regularly fishes here whilst having breakfast suggested we needed to draw in the deeper open water, instead of the island pegs. So I drew peg 21, which was an island peg, but it is also a peg I won from in our Christmas match 2 years ago with 40lb.

I also spoke to Vince Shipp last Sunday, who suggested fishing over micro pellet was catching the carp, however the extra water and colour was a concern. A hard match was anticipated, so 3 small balls of groundbait went in at 6m with some pinkie & caster, plus micro pellet at 14m, before I started on the lead & double corn towards the island, which was about 20m away.

After 15 minutes, no bites on the lead, the 6m line, again no bites and the 14m line no bites. Nearly an hour in and I was still fishless, but so were most others, except Graham on peg 3 who had a few roach.

Eventually I caught a rudd on the waggler next to the island, but now I wasn’t sure what to do. My 6m silverfish line had failed and to be honest I didn’t expect it to suddenly come to life. I topped up my 14m line with little more micro, but I had to make a decision about my waggler line. Initially I had set up the waggler with .13 bottom and 18 B911 for carp, but it was becoming obvious that none were feeding, yet I felt the island would offer me the best chance of catching a few. I preserved a little longer, but eventually decided to change down my hooklength to .10 bottom and 22 B911, simply because I had a couple of bites on the drop.

A switch to the 14m yielded a 1lb skimmer and I was continually feeding 3-5 casters on the waggler line hoping to pull in some roach and maybe the odd carp.

The skimmer was the only fish to come off my 14m line, but I decided to move my 14m swim to my right so it didn’t interfere with my waggler line, which was slowly coming to life.

My new 14m swim produced a 2lb skimmer and a near 3lb carp in successive put ins, but then nothing. This was the story the remainder of the match, I would have a run of fish, then I would have to switch tactics. I even tried the margins, however without success.

The last 45 minutes proved a real struggle for everyone, including myself. At least I couldn’t be accused of not trying, I kept trying to keep the fish coming. In the end I expected my waggler line to get stronger, but trying to get my tactics right in the 1st 2 hours ultimately proved costly.

As for the knockout, I beat Andy who only weighed 3lb 10oz, but Kev had 9lb of roach to claim the free annual club membership. Graham Beever on peg 3 won the match with 11lb of quality roach.

No comments: