Friday 12 December 2008

12/12/08 - Ivy House - Small Lake

Weight – 8lb 9oz
Catch – 19 Roach, 17 Perch, 1 Mirror Carp
Weather – Lake iced over, cloudy, becoming milder.
Water temp – 4.5c > 4.5c

My clubs Christmas match is due this Sunday at Ivy House Small Lake, plus it is the final of our knockout competition, so I decided a little practice was required.

Ivy House is 1 of those venues that if it was properly managed it could be a great fishery and would attract more & bigger matches. However the owners aren’t prepared to put any real effort in, which is a real shame.

When I woke up I was expecting a frost, but instead there was light drizzle, so I was hopeful the lake wouldn’t be iced over. When I pulled up at the lake, it looked flat & ice free, however closer inspection revealed a thin layer of water on top of 2" thick ice, which proved difficult to break.


I eventually managed to create a channel at 7m, where I had 5ft of water and only set up the 1 rig - Jolly 4x12, .08 bottom and a 22 silverfish hook. Feed was also simple, red maggot and some red atomic cloud, which I fed via a tosspot.

After 15 minutes I was wondering if I had done the right thing by fishing, then I had a bite, which I missed. A couple of roach soon followed, before I hooked something more substantial. After 10 minutes I eventually landed a 4lb 2oz carp, which was a bit of a handful on the light kit, the ice and clear water.

I continued to catch roach up to 10oz, but more & more micro perch were showing. Because I only had the 1 swim to target, I wanted to be cautious about what I fed, but felt tosspoting 3-4 maggot wasn’t positive enough, hence fewer roach were showing. So I decided to mix a little Match Blend groundbait. Although I had to wait a little longer for bites I started to catch roach again, which is useful tactic to know for Sundays match.

I was pleased with how the session went, however I wished I had some pinkie, because I missed bites and lost fish due to the smaller fish hanging onto the end of the maggot.

The weather forecast is for milder weather so with any luck I will be able to leave the icebreaker at home!

No comments: