Monday 22 December 2008

21/12/08 - Lands End - Sydneys Lake

Weight – 13lb 14oz
Catch – 53 Roach, 12 Bream, 8 Carp, 2 Rudd.
Weather – Mild, cloudy, breezy start
Water Temp – 8.0c > 9.0c

Match – Lands End Winter League - rd 3– 16th overall - 2nd in section

The 3rd round of the Lands End Winter League meant I would be fishing Sydney’s Lake, which is the 4th and newest lake on the complex. There are loads of small carp (1-2lb bracket), plus large number of small roach & skimmers, so hopefully loads of bites and I expected 50lb or so to win.

Pete Sivell did his usual £1 side bets with as many people as he could, but with myself he’s getting frustrated by the fact I keep beating him, particularly off the next peg, which I have done for the last 5 times. In his determination to beat the "jinx" he suggested a £2 side bet, which I accepted.

We drew next to each other again, Pete drew 75 and I had peg 78. Ideally, I would have preferred a peg at either end of the lake, however peg 78 was as central I could get, so I felt I was up against it. I really needed good points today to make up for the poor result in the 2nd round.

Initially I decided to feed 3 areas, 6m and 13m in front of the gap between the islands with micro pellet & maggot, and micro pellet & corn tight to the island.

I started at 6m on single maggot and was soon catching small roach. After 30 minutes I had 17 and except for peg 72 (end peg) there wasn’t much else been caught. After a quick look on my other lines & re-fed and decided to keep going on my 6m line. However I needed to make a decision, because I felt the rigs I had set up were too light in what was a gusty breeze. Plus my 6m rig was set up for carp, not roach (roach 4x12, .13 bottom, 20 red maggot hook, doubled 6 elastic).

So more rigs were set up. The 6m line now had a jolly 4x14, 10 bottom, 22 silverfish hook & 5 elastic, which provided much better presentation.

90 minutes gone and my 6m line was drying up. I had started to pick up some small skimmers, probably thanks to the micro pellet, but I was having to wait too long for bites. I needed to change tact, because a few carp were now being caught, particularly Adrian on peg 72, which meant I was now fishing for 2nd in section.

I had been feeding maggot & micro pellet down the margin and 1st drop in on expander produced a carp, soon followed by another. Now I was back in contention.

The remainder of the match saw me rotating swims to keep the fish coming, including a brief look on the waggler fished into the island gap, but this didn’t produce anything other than small roach. In the end I caught most of my silvers on the 6m line and most of my carp in the margins.

At the all out, I hoped for 2nd in section and the weigh in confirmed I had, in what turned out to be a very tight section, with 2x 12lb, 11lb 4oz and 5lb 2oz coming last. Adrian won the section with 24lb 7oz, which makes 3 section wins out of 3 and is now leading the league. I’ve jumped from 18th to 12th.

More importantly that’s another 2 quid from Mr Sivell. Fair shout to him though he did send me a text saying well done, but I probably need to watch my back in case he pushes me in!

1st Adrian Clarke 18pts
2nd Andy France 17pts
3rd Nicky Collier 16pts
4th Mike Duckett 15pts
5th Pete Nurse 13.5pts
6th Clint Wojtyla 13pts
12th Ken Rayner 12pts (27lb 14oz)

No comments: