Monday 26 February 2024

22/02/24 - Harescombe - Match Lake

Weight - 6lb 9oz
Catch - 6 Carp/F1, 3 Skimmers, 2 Rudd, 2 Perch, 2 Gudgeon, 1 Roach
Weather - Rainy, became increasingly colder
Match - Open (17 fished) - 13rd overall

I decided to fish this Thursday’s open in preparation for Sundays teams of 3, as I haven’t fished the lake for 8 years. 

Driving to the venue along the motorway, the heavens opened and I was 30 seconds behind a car that decided to test the integrity of the central barrier.

As I was trying to get a feel for the lake I wasn’t too concerned where I drew and peg 2 was OK, although the other end of the lake has been the better end recently. 
Due to the amount of rain that had fallen there was a fair bit of water coming down the inlet, which meant there was quite a bit of tow swirling around in front of me.

On the all-in I started tight across to the point of the island, fishing a 4mm expander, toss potting a nugget of crushed expander and 2mm Uzit p-nut pellet. After 20mins I had 2 skimmers, but felt a heavier bait was required in the ‘flow’ and switched to fishing 6mm meat. This produced a 1lb carp and a 2lb F1 by the end of the first hour.

The 2nd hour was a real struggle. The rain had started up again I was getting ‘bites’ across, which were either small fish nipping at the bait or bigger fish swimming through the line. It was becoming increasingly frustrating.

I tried fishing down the track with dead maggot, but only caught a couple of small silvers and the tow was increasing due to the additional rain.

Next, I tried down my left margin where I had fed micros and dead maggot, where I had a little run of fish, but everything was small including the 3 carp at 2oz a piece!

I had also been feeding micros and meat by the pallet of p1, which produced 1 carp late on, but I missed too many bites, not just down the margin but across by the island as well due to poor presentation in the swirling water.

1.    33-  6 – Les Harper – p6
2.    32-12 – Mark Wooldridge – p12
3.    18-14 – Phil Auger – p11
4.    18-  7 – Allan Oram – p23
5.    17-  0 – Dave Rugman – p17

No comments: