Monday 19 February 2024

19/02/24 - Shiplate - West Pool

Weight - 115lb 12oz (6lb 4oz - silvers)
Catch - 22 Carp, 10 Skimmers, 1 Roach
Weather - Heavy overnight rain. Mostly cloudy and mild.
Match - Open (13 fished) - 2nd overall, 1st on lake.

I always enjoy my visits to Shiplate and its good that more opens are being organised thanks to Dom Sullivan.

Todays match was spread over Hawthorns and West Pool, and I drew p12 on West Pool. After some very heavy overnight rain, there was a lot of standing water around and the lakes were certainly full, and I wasn’t sure how this would affect the fishing. As it happened, I thought the lakes fished quite well, probably as it was still quite mild.

I started fishing tight to the far bank, toss potting 7mm meat dyed with U-Zit bubblegum yellow and 2mm U-Zit P-Nut pellet. After 15mins I had 2 carp in the net and then it went a bit funny, losing the next 2 fish which I thought were both hooked properly.

To give the swim a rest, I tried a 14.5m swim slightly to my right where I had fed micros and 4s, fishing a 4mm expander. This produced a few small skimmers and a carp. A switch to a banded 4 immediately produced another carp, but no more followed.

I had also been feeding meat at 3+2 to my right at the bottom of the near shelf and caught another carp, as well as some better sized skimmers.

As the match progressed the far bank proved to be the best. By cutting out the micros and toss potting 8 bites of meat, I had a few liners, but never suffered from any foul hookers. Whenever I felt this line needed a rest, I would drop in on the near meat line or the pellet line where I had been pinging pellet. Both back up lines produced, with the meat line being the best, producing bigger fish, plus a few better sized skimmers.

With an hour to go I thought I might catch down my margin late, which was the same depth as the far bank. In hindsight, this was a mistake, as I didn’t catch, and I neglected the 3+2 line. I suspect that this may have cost me a couple of fish.

That said, I had a lovely day’s fishing winning West Pool and coming 2nd overall.

1.   
124-  0 – Mark Poppleton – p13 (Hawthorns)
2.    115-12 – Ken Rayner – p12 (West Pool)
3.      76-  8 – Steve Smith – p2 (West Pool)
4.      66-  4 – Andy Fry – p14 (West Pool)
5.      60-12 – Dom Sullivan – p11 (Hawthorns)

No comments: