Saturday 10 February 2024

09/02/24 - Harescombe - Meadow Lake

Weight - 52lb 3oz
Catch - 11 Carp, 2 Roach, 1 Tench, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Mostly showers, some heavy and breezy at times.
Match - Open (7 fished) - 2nd overall

As I was due to fish the Teams of 3, I jumped on today’s open on Meadow Lake to get a feel for the lake as it’s been 8 years since I last fished here.

There were only the 7 of us and my draw put me on the left bank, just past the willow tree. Plumbing up revealed the lake quickly deepened off to my right and towards the middle to about 8ft.

On the all in a ball of U-zit black bubblegum & crushed expander mixed 50:50 with 2mm p-nut pellet was fed at 11m in 6ft of water.  I also fed 10 cubes of 7mm meat dyed with yellow bubblegum with 2mm pellet under the willow to my right in 5ft of water.

I spent the first 45mins on the lead trying different areas of the swim with bread or meat, but never had a bite.

A quick look over the meat line didn’t produce, so I concentrated
on the 11m line. Fishing with a 0.5g SM chimp and maggot which produced a couple of roach, before catching a small carp, but I was getting ragged by the roach. A switch to 4mm expander meant I had to wait for a bite, but it produced a 2lb tench and then a 2lb skimmer.

Looking around the whole lake it was fishing hard with only a few carp being caught and I hoped my meat line would produce a few fish late. As it turned out the last 2hrs was quite good, just toss potting 6 bits of meat plus a few micros. Fishing a 0.3g Ackoo carrat, I initially

had to wait for a bite, but in the last 30mins I had to cut out the micros as I was getting liners and bites were coming much quicker.

As a back line I had been pinging corn & 4mm pellet to my left in the shallower end of the lake, without success.

Come the end it was between myself and Steve Venn on the opposite bank as we had the same number of carp, but ultimately, he had a couple of proper lumps which swung the result his way. So, 2nd for me, which I was pleased with and gave me a few ideas for Sunday.

As for the venue it’s set in lovely surroundings and I’m looking forward to the teams of 3 and I’ve also booked myself onto the summer series.

1.    65-  7 – Steve Venn – p1
2.    52-  3 – Ken Rayner – p3
3.    36-13 – Carl Mulford – p4

No comments: