Tuesday 6 February 2024

04/02/2024 - Hillview - Canal 2

Weight - 60lb 14oz (26lb 6oz - silvers)
Catch - 20 Carp/F1, 36 Ide, 7 Perch, 4 Tench, 1 Gudgeon
Weather - Cloudy and breezy
Match - Tackle Den (24 fished) - 12th overall and 3rd in section

There were 24 booked in for this match and we were spread over canals 2, 3 and 4. Not being familiar with the canals, I was told canals 3 & 4 were the best and to draw an end peg. Well, I failed on both counts, drawing p57 (3 off the end) on canal 2. However, the payout was the same for each canal, except for the overall winner who would get an extra tenner.

Once I got to my peg and looking at the way the wind was blowing, I felt I would be at the wrong end of the lake.

Fortunately, I had a small reed bed opposite me at 13m which was only 2ft deep and nearly 3ft at 2+2. I started off dobbin bread across, catching 2 carp, but missed a few bites which I felt were from silvers and soon caught an ide. I knew ide had been stocked into the Heron and Moorhen lakes, but not the canals. As a result, I persisted a little too long dobbin bread, thinking I needed to catch carp or F1. However, it didn’t feel right so decided to start tapping in maggot and soon started catching ide.

Whenever it went quiet, I would go back to dobbing bread for a few more carp, but they seemed reluctant to take maggot as it become obvious the majority of carp were at other end of the lake, as I could see quite a few fish being landed.

As a backup line, I had been feeding maggot down my left-hand margin, but this only produced a couple of small silvers. I had also been feeding micros on a 2+2 line, hoping a few carp would settle over it as Dom to my right had caught a couple of decent carp short on pellet. When I switched to my short line fishing a 4mm expander, this only produced a few more ide, plus some small tench, which was a disappointing return. I decided to convert this line to maggot for later in the match, which produced more ide but in hindsight wish I had kept it as a pellet as I felt there was more chance of pulling in more carp.

The far line was proving to be the most productive. During one 30min spell after resting the line I had started pinging maggot across and caught very quickly, getting a bite as soon as the float settled – lovely fishing.

As my left-hand margin wasn’t producing as expected I decided to feed micros by the p56 pallet, fishing a 4mm expander. This quickly produced 3 reasonable carp and I thought I would have a strong finish to the match, but the last 90mins was a little disappointing as I had to keep rotating lines to keep putting fish in the net.

An enjoyable day, with plenty of bites. In hindsight, had I realised there were so many ide in the lakes, I would have been better prepared. That said there was a 30lb & 40lb either side of me and the winner of each canal came from the windward end, so I was just at the wrong end.

1.    111-  7 – Steve Venn – p72 (canal 3)
2.    105-  3 – John Pearce – p83 (canal 4)
3.      97-14 – Matt Greaves – p95 (canal 4)
4.      86-13 – Andrew Black – p93 (canal 4)
5.      86-  2 – Jason Crump – p68 (canal 2)
6.      83-  6 – Pete Phillips – p81 (canal 3) 

No comments: