Tuesday 23 May 2023

20/05/23 - Ivy House - Old Match Lake

Weight - 17lb
Catch - 4 Carp, 6 Skimmers, 1 Crucian, 1 Roach
Weather - Cool start, but warm and sunny.
Match - Open (7 fished) - Last!

A week of warm weather (at last!) and the question was – are the fish spawning? Well on arrival it didn’t look like it, which raised hopes for a good day.
 
There were only 7 of us today and I drew peg 3, which is OK, but at least I had plenty of space.
 
On the all-in I started at 16m tapping in a few 6s, fishing a hair rigged 6mm. After 30mins and no bites, I tried the method to the island and again no bites. Fair to say it was slow.
 
I eventually caught a skimmer after an hour at 13m on worm over groundbait and micros.
 
A few fish started to show themselves shallow, however I couldn’t mug any of them as it looked like they were pairing up ready for spawning. In an effort to make something happen I decided to keep pinging pellet at 16m and I did catch 2 carp shallow, plus a further 2 fishing worm on the deck over the pinging line.
 
At the halfway point I was doing OK and expected a few more later in the match, but it just never happened, and I didn’t catch another carp. I tried paste at 6m and corn/mircos down the margin but caught nothing except for a few skimmers.
 
In hindsight, I probably pushed the peg too hard, although I would probably do it again as I knew I was falling behind Mick opposite. Have to say I love this lake, but at the moment it is fishing much harder than expected.
 
1.    51- 6 – Mick O’Brien – p15
2.    43-14 – Phil Gooding – p10
Silvers
1.    15- 8 – Phil Gooding – p10
2.    13- 4 – Baggy – p13

No comments: