Monday 15 May 2023

14/05/23 - Todber - Whiteposts

Weight - 82lb 4oz
Catch - 22 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Foggy start, mostly cloudy and sunny later
Match - Wiltshire Angling Open (7 fished) - 3rd overall

Only the one match this weekend and as I write this blog I realise I forgot to write about last weeks match at Ivy House, which to be honest was quite forgettable coming 8th out of 11 on a very wet day.

I was also supposed to fish a pairs match at Ivy House on the Monday; however, Mark messaged me Sunday morning saying a reoccurring shoulder injury meant he couldn’t fish. I could have got another partner, but to be honest the weather wasn’t looking great for Monday, whilst Sunday was warm and sunny. As it was too late to book in anywhere, I decided to fish the afternoon/evening at my club water, fishing Merritts Lake hoping to catch some units. Well, I caught 17 fish for 189lb, mugging a few early fish before catching on 8mm meat down my margin, including a PB of 20lb 2oz.

When I booked into this match, I expected both lakes to be in, however when I turned up there were only 7 of us, all on the top lake. At least we would have plenty of space, but I was disappointed to draw end peg 12, a boom or bust peg.

As I was setting up, I realised I forgotten my tip rod and waterproofs, so thanks to Pete for lending me a rod and Phil who had a spare bib & brace. 

I fished this peg last year and struggled and thought today might be a repeat, particularly as the westerly breeze was blowing right to left down to the other end of the lake.

At the start I fed some meat at 3+2 and micros down the end bank. Whilst that settled, I started on the method to the far bank with a 6mm wafter and soon netted a carp. With no further bites I switched to the 3+2 line where I caught 7 carp over the next hour and then nothing for an hour.

I tried down the end bank which produced a single roach, and another try on the feeder didn’t produce, which confirmed my fears about the peg.

In the meantime, I saw Banger on p8 catching on paste and with nothing happening I set up a paste rig to fish at 11m. Fortunately this line proved to be quite productive, although I had a few hook pulls at the net, which suggested the fish weren’t really feeding confidently.

Back on my meat line proved fruitless, so I converted this to a paste line reasoning I would catch quicker, but it never happened so I had to go back out to 11m.

I had hoped my margin would kick into life, but the fish just wouldn’t settle regardless of whether I fed groundbait, micros, meat or any combination. I eventually caught 2 on paste and speaking to others hardly anyone caught down the margins. 

82lb was a little more than I expected, and 3rd was better than expected on what turned out to be a tricky day.

1.    112-10 – Pete Neate – p3
2.      97-14 – Banger – p8
3.      82- 4 – Ken Rayner – p12

No comments: