Monday 12 September 2022

11/09/22 - Lodden Lakes

Weight - 20lb 14oz
Catch - 14 Roach, 13 Skimmers, 3 Perch
Weather - Mostly sunny, a little breezy later
Match - Steve Martin Series - rd 4 (12 fished) - 9th overall

The sixth and final round of this friendly series run by Steve Martin and my first visit to Lodden Lakes, which is a venue I have always wanted to fish.

There were only 12 of us today as 6 couldn’t make it due to holidays, so we at least had plenty of room. Going into this round I was lying 4th, with a chance of finishing anywhere between 3rd and 6th.

Based on the information I had received, chopped worm and caster was the way to go, as well as corn. When I drew p15, I was told it is a good area and carp had been caught by the island opposite.

My intention was to fish a large method, loaded with RTG micros (FA1 & kriller) for the first 20mins whilst I let my 13m line just off the left-hand spit where I fed a ball of groundbait, plus plenty of chopped worm and caster.

I ended up fishing the feeder for 80mins netting 5 skimmers (4 on an orange 8mm gofter and 1 on a yellow).

I had topped up the 13m line with more chopped worm and caster, so when I switched, I was soon attached to another skimmer on worm, but the small roach were proving to be a pain. So rather than toss potting in bait, I big potted worm and caster which was much better netting a further 4 big skimmers up to 3lb. I’ve then hooked what was obviously a decent fish. After playing it for a few minutes it found some roots down my right margin. I could feel it was still on and hoped that with some gentle persuasion I could free it by hand. Well, it nearly worked as I untangled most of the rig, but the ‘fish’ kicked and broke the hooklength. I’m not sure what it was, but think it was either a 3-4lb tench or a small carp. I must say I was disappointed.

Unfortunately, with about 18lb in the net this was the turning point in my match. Of the anglers I could see I was leading the way and felt a few more skimmers would put me in contention. However, my 13m line was now full of tiny roach and pushing out to 14m didn’t help.

I had been feeding corn ¾ of the way across to island and caught 2 skimmers, but no more. I also never had any more indications on the method.

A new swim off to my right fed with just micros at 14m, resulted in a skimmer first put in on 4mm expander, but then the roach returned – argh!

In desperation with an hour to go 4 balls of groundbait with chopped worm, caster and some micro’s was cupped in at 13m out in front. Alas this produced only 1 small skimmer and a roach.

After my good start, it was a disappointing end. I could only see 3 other anglers and felt I had done ok, but as I walked back to the car park the weights just got better. In fact, the bottom 5 weights all came from my end of the lake.

I finished the series 5th overall and well done to Pete Ball who won fishing paste in every round.

1. 49-  4 - Steve Martin - p1
2. 39-  9 - Pete Ball - p40
3. 37-11 - Steve Musitano - p6
4. 32-11 - Andy Eagle - p4
5. 26-  2 - Phil Wilkins - p38

 

 

 

No comments: