Monday 1 May 2017

29/04/17 - Viaduct - Campbell

Weight - 133lb 4oz
Catch - 21 Carp, 2 Skimmers
Weather - Cool easterly wind, mostly sunny
Match - Norm Sterry Open - 4th out of 55

With 55 anglers booked in there were 3 lakes in, Campbell, Cary and Lodge. Everyone wanted Campbell and I was pleased to draw p114, which was definitely in the right area, so at least I should have a days fishing.

On arrival the wind was blowing off my back, which I was quite thankful for, because it was cold. Either side of me was Phil Hardwick on p113 and Lee Pesticcio on p115, which meant not much room for margin fishing but still set up a rig just in case and mixed up some groundbait.

On the all in I had an 8lber almost immediately short on meat, but no more followed, so switched to the pellet at 14m. I had been pinging Marukyu Amino 6s, but was disappointed with the lack of response, eventually landing another 8lber and then a skimmer.

Lee had caught a couple long on pellet and Phil had started catching on the waggler, which meant after 2hrs I was falling behind, as it become obvious the fish really didn't want to come in on the pole line. I kept pinging pellet over the long pole line, periodically trying it, but never had another fish so abandoned it with 2 hours to go.

After 2hrs a switch to the waggler and 8mm amino pellet produced a couple of carp and the majority of the next 4 hrs was spent fishing the waggler or the straight lead and 8mm meat. Using red meat coloured with Marukyu very berry boost, definitely caught me more fish than standard meat. Also unlike the anglers around me I kept my feed reasonably light feeding only 3x 8mm pellet at a time. As the match progressed I pulled back the deficit against Phil & Lee and started to pull ahead.

Overall, the lake wasn't fishing that well, probably because it has been cold this week with overnight frost. Rumour had it that Cary was fishing even harder, which meant if I could keep going there was a chance of framing. The margins hadn't produced at all, so that was soon forgotten about. I had also kept feeding meat at 5m line and so far hadn't tried it since the start of the match, mainly because I kept catching mostly on the lead or waggler. With 4mins to go I netted a fish and decided to have a look over the meat line before the end of the match. Fortunately with 30secs left I hooked a 10lber which proved critical getting into the frame and a £100 pick up.

1. 144-15 - Phil Weaver - p121
2. 138-13 - Steve Shaw (Mosella) - p110
3. 135- 4 - Shawn Wilson - p85
4. 133- 4 - Ken Rayner (Colmic/Marukyu) - p114
5. 129- 5 - Dave Romain (Viaduct) - p123
6. 126- 1 - Alex Murray (Mosella) - p116
Silvers
1. 43- 3 - Phil Weaver - p121
2. 21-11 - Alex Murray (Mosella) - p116
3. 20- 4 - John Fuidge (Thornbury) - p66
4. 18-12 - Craig Edmunds (Mosella) - p70
5. 16- 2 - Chris Fox (Maesknoll) - p132

No comments: