Sunday 14 May 2017

13/05/17 - Sedges - Tile Lake

Weight - 68lb 5oz (10lb 1oz - silvers)
Catch - 6 Carp, 7 Skimmers, 1 Eel
Weather - Mostly sunny and southerly wind
Match - Coops/Guru series - rd 4 - 6th out of 19, 2nd in section

With no fishing last weekend, I was looking forward to getting out again and catching a few. So far this series things just haven't clicked the way I would have liked them, which meant any chance of claiming a top 3 position had gone. However there were still 2 matches to go and an opportunity to sort out those things that hadn't clicked, namely my feeder fishing and catching short on meat.

Speaking to Jamie at the draw, he said the bream had started spawning again and a difficult day was likely, with the carp gouging themselves on spawn.


Drawing p28 looked like a decent area with the wind blowing into that end of the lake. As for the section Jamie Cook was on p26, Dave White p27, Mark Wynne p29 and Jim Jenner in the corner on p30, so a tough section.

Looking at the peg and breeze, it looked like today would be a day to catch shallow, well that's what I thought. As such a shallow rig was set up for the pole, as was a waggler. So far I haven't had much luck on the method feeder and instead decided to try the meat feeder to see if that would make a difference. Finally I had a meat rig to fish short and rig to fish for skimmers which I hoped wouldn't be required.

On the all in I started on the meat feeder, but it wasn't until the 30th minute that I had my first carp an 11-12lber. A second of similar size was put in the net after an hour, but it was painfully slow.

Dave had managed 1 carp shallow and Mark had 2 shallow on the pole, which made me think today was definitely a day to catch shallow. I had kept pinging pellet, but never had a bite on either the pole or waggler, although the wind was starting to pick up blowing down the lake making fishing both methods difficult, it was a surprise that I couldn't catch. In fact neither Dave or Mark caught any more shallow, very strange.

With 2.5hrs gone and no further fish, I decided to cup in some groundbait at 11.5m. Well that proved to be a waste of time with only 1 8oz skimmer. I kept rotating between the shallow lines and the feeder and when I had 2 quick fish on the feeder I thought at last they had arrived, again I was disappointed with no more bites. This was proving really frustrating.

My first drop in on the short meat line, produced an immediate bite, which turned out to be a near 2lb eel, followed immediately by a skimmer. In the meantime Dave still only had 1 carp and Mark had a couple on the feeder/lead, however Jamie was beginning to run away with it fishing the feeder, which also proved he didn't need a corner to catch.

Another try on the short meat line didn't produce, but wind meant the lake was now towing and my 0.3g carrat just wasn't right, so changed to 0.5g powetrap which sat better, but still no more bites. I had also noticed small fish, probably motherless minnows, playing keepy uppy with my meat as I was throwing it and wondered how much was actually getting to the bottom. To combat the little blighters, I started cupping 10 bits of meat which seemed to help, because with 75mins left I caught a decent skimmer, followed by another and then a carp which weighed 12lb 4oz.  I had another, lost foul hooker and ;landed a couple more skimmers, but with 20mins left I couldn't get another bite.

I had also feed the margins, initially with meat and then with groundbait, but never had a bite all match.

By the all out Dave had long since packed up, Mark had the same number of carp as me, but not the quality, surprisingly Jim struggled in the corner and Jamie had over 100lb, which meant I was 2nd in section picking up the section money by default.

Pleased with the result on what was a difficult day for most. Surprisingly the pegs on the opposite bank out of the wind proved to be best.

1. 144- 7 - Martin Hear (Mosella) - p38
2. 114- 2 - Jamie  Cook (Sedges) - p26
3. 114- 1 - Paul Tidball - p39
4. 91-15 - Bob Gullick (Mosella) - p25
5. 79-10 - Tom Mangnall (Mosella) - p36
6. 68- 5 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p28

Silvers
1. 12- 4 - Bob Gullick (Mosella) - p25
2. 10- 1 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p28
3. 9- 8 - Vic Bush (Mosella) - p37

No comments: