Monday 7 November 2016

6/11/16 - Todber Manor - Ash Lake

Weight - 35lb 10oz
Catch - 12 Carp, 13 Skimmers, 1 F1, 1 Tench
Weather - Mostly sunny, cold northerly wind
Match - Pairs - rd 2 - 14th out of 24 overall, 6th out of 6 section.

Travelling down with Tony and Judith I was a little late which Tony didn't appreciate! The breakfast as Cannard Wells eased the pain!

It was my turn to fish "D" section on Ash lake and with the prevailing northerly wind blowing straight down the lake a draw from 67 upwards would do. Unfortunately peg 62 would be my home. A tough day was likely, since it was the same peg I drew last week and with the cold wind blowing into my end of the lake, I wasn't very optimistic.

At least Tony was happier with his draw having the wind blowing off his back. Ash Tomkins was next to me on 64 and we debated who would be last for the section.

And my fears to be well founded when it took 20mins to catch my first fish, a hand size skimmer on 4mm expander and it was a further hour until I caught my first carp, again on 4mm expander at 13m. In the meantime the pegs further along were all catching.

I persevered with the pellet, toss potting a few 4s and micros at 13m where the bottom starts to slope up towards the end bank and at 13.5m to my right. It was slow going but bites were starting to come more regularly, including a big tench, before the wind picked up and bites stopped.

The lead & bread produced a 2.5lb carp, whilst a spell on the maggot feeder only produced 2 small carp. I was really going nowhere. Ash stayed on the pole, but was also struggling and we both had 17 fish with roughly 2.5hrs to go.

A switch to fishing further right, with double dead maggot still toss potting 4s & micros produced another run of fish including some proper skimmers, a big F1 and a couple more carp. I also managed a couple more carp in the last hour on lead/bread, plus a couple more at 13m from the bottom of the end bank where I had been pinging pellet all day.

However I was never going to compete with the middle pegs and finished bottom of the section. Ash finished with 3 more fish than me, but had more carp weighing 47lb and the other end peg only had 36lb, so you really needed to draw the middle of the lake at the moment.

Tony also struggled catching plenty of fish, but no real quality. As such we have slipped down to 9th, however its still really tight so there is still hope of a decent finish.

1st 79- 6 - Alex Murray - p70 (ash)
2nd 73- 4 - Calum Craig (Colmic) - p67 (ash)
3rd 66- 5 - Nick Ewers (Preston) - p48 (hillview)
4th 66- 4 - Alex Nadin - p73 (ash)
5th 58- 4 - Nick Merry (Colmic) - p43 (hillview)
6th 55- 9 - Ian Willetts (Devizes) - p60 (hillview)

No comments: