Monday 21 November 2016

19/11/16 - Avalon - Match Lake

Weight - 12lb 8oz
Catch - 15 Skimmers, 14 Roach, 1 Golden Tench
Weather - Sleety start, mostly cloudy and slight breeze
Match - Silverfish League - rd 5 - 2nd out of 17

On the drive down it was sleeting heavily and the prospects for the day weren't encouraging. Fortunately on arrival the worst of the storm had passed and the rest of the day was quite pleasant, if not a little chilly.

Peg 9 hasn't been great this series, however Vic said it was one of the most consistent pegs and to be honest I was quite happy, because the peg was in a gap between the islands, plus p10 wasn't in which meant extra space. For company I had Ziggy to my right on p8 and Vic to my left on p11. With Chris Fox on p12, meant 3 out of the top 4 were all in a line.

Following a cold and wet week, I set myself a target of 10lb, although I expected 15lb or so would probably win.
On the all in 3 balls of gonuts black groundbait/micros was deposited at 13m, a small ball of groundbait/micros at 14.5m to my left and finally a small ball of groundbait plus caster at 5m. I started a small gripmesh feeder with dead maggot cast into the gap. After the 3rd cast without a bite a change to a micro cage feeder and pinkie produced a 2lb skimmer, but it was loner and no further bites followed.

On the 50min mark I switched to fishing the 13m line. Over the next hour I swapped between a double bulk rig (Dino Long Bream 0.75g > .10 > 18 silverfish pellet) and a conventional rig (jean francios 0.6g > .08 > 22 silverfish maggot).

With 2 hours gone I caught a big skimmer and a golden tench on the conventional rig and pinkie, which just put me ahead of Ziggy who also had a golden tench, plus a few smaller skimmers.

As the match progressed it was a case of topping up with a small ball of groundbait and micros at 13m, gradually pushing out to 16m and fishing the 14.5m left hand swim. When that swim died it was topped with mostly micros and a small ball of groundbait, before switching to the long line.  

I didn't catch any more big skimmers, but managed a number of hand size skimmers, plus a couple up to 1lb and felt I was keeping ahead of those around me, although it would have been a different story had Ziggy landed a foul hooked a big skimmer which he lost at the net.

A brief look over the short line and down the margin, only produced 1 roach, so with the match drawing to a close, I deposited 3 feeders full of bait. 15mins later I topped up both pole line and switched to the feeder. Unfortunately I got my timings wrong (as did a few others). When Vic called all out at 3pm, I was expecting a further 30mins. To be fair, I wasn't at the draw when Vic made the announcement.


When the all out was called I thought I had about 10lb, but started doubting myself when Pete Neate weighed 10-14 and then Ziggy weighed 10- 8. My 12- 8 was the best weight on the left hand bank and Jim Jenner won the match with pellet caught skimmers.

As for the league, I made up ground on Vic who weighed 6-10, Chris had 6-0 and John had 9-0, which means I'm now 2nd in the league, but its very tight between the 4 of us.

1st - 20- 2 - Jim Jenner (Avalon) - p37
2nd - 12- 8 - Ken Rayner (Colmic) - p9
3rd - 10-14 - Pete Neate (Trowbridge) - p5
3rd - 10-14 - Rich Coles (Bridgewater) - p35
5th - 10- 8 - Ziggy (Garbolino) - p8
6th - 9-12 - Eric Fouracre (Mosella) - p39

League Standings
1st - Vic Bush - 88-10
2nd - Ken Rayner - 84- 4
3rd - Chris Fox - 82- 5
4th - John Fuidge - 81-14
5th - Lee Woodhouse - 66- 9
6th - Eric Fouracres - 65- 1

No comments: