Thursday 24 November 2016

20/11/16 - Todber Manor - Hillview

Weight - 34lb 0oz
Catch - 14 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 3 Tench, 2 F1, 1 Roach, 1 Perch
Weather - Breezy start, flat calm later
Match - Pairs Series rd 3 - 4th out of 6 section.

As well as I am doing in the Avalon silverfish league, I am doing equally badly in this pairs series. A wrong tactical decision in the first round, a poor draw (on the day) in the second round, I was hopeful for a reversal of fortunate in the third round and it was my turn to fish the worst section (pegs 34-41).

Travelled down again with Tony and Chris Fox joined us due to an intermittent problem with his van. After a decent breakfast at Cannards Well, Tony managed to make it as far as Wincanton, before deciding he needed an emergency toilet break. An appropriate layby was found and Tony did the business, only to return to the van with a sore arse. He only got stung by some nettles. We didn't laugh much!

At the draw I found myself on 34 and felt I needed to be further along the section, but at least it made unloading the van easier, because Chris was behind on 62 Ash.

The overnight wind and rain was forecast to clear and fishing the pole at 13m was manageable in the side wind, which is where I fed some micros & 4s, 3 balls of groundbait & micros was also fed at 11.5m at an angle to my right, hopefully to entice the local skimmers into feeding.

On the all in the lead/bread was cast to various points along the island without so much as a twitch. After 30mins I switched to the 13m line toss potting micros and corn, with corn on the hook and had a small F1 straight away. Staying on the corn, the swim gradually built up and starting catching 3-4lb carp and after 2hrs felt I was probably close to leading the section.

Then the wind dropped, which was like flicking a switch, I just couldn't get a bite. A switch to fishing dead maggot produced a few smaller fish, but it was slow going. With the lake going flat calm, Alex Murray to my right on 35 started catching on the waggler, including some proper lumps. Ash and Alex Nadin were also now catching.

Unfortunately I didn't bring a waggler rod, but tried the straight lead along the island without any bites and the right hand 11.5m swim only produced a couple of small fish.

In an effort to make something happen I started pinging 4s at 14m and a new swim was set up 14.5m to my left with micros & 4s. Things improved a little, switching from maggot to expander, but still catching too many small fish, although I did manage a 6lber late on from the left hand swim.

A disappointing finish after my good start and for some reason I just got to grips with the venue.

1st - 90-12 - Nick White - p67 (ash)
2nd - 76- 8 - Allan Oram - p45 (hillview)
3rd - 69- 0 - Steve Tucker - p64 (ash)
4th - 64-14 - Fred Roberts - p60 (hillview)
5th - 63-12 - Chris Fox - p62 (ash)
6th - 55- 9 - Ash T

ompkins - p37 (hillview)

No comments: