Tuesday 26 August 2014

25/08/14 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 71lb 5oz (7lb 10oz - silvers)
Catch - 13 Carp, 3 Skimmers, 3 F1s, 2 Roach, 2 Perch
Weather - Rained all day
Match - Garry Wall Memorial - 9th

Must say I was a little disappointed to see only 16 turn up, when I thought we would have at least 20 plus, but then again the weather forecast for rain was bang on, as it didn’t stop until 45mins from the end.

Speaking to Rod at Shipham Café, it sounded like Match Lake was still fishing well, except for the bottom end where Rod had struggled for 49lb from peg 1 during Saturdays match. Come the draw I had the penultimate ticket, which was peg 2, leaving Pete Nurse with 19. Doh!

To be honest I didn’t think I would compete from the peg, but you never know. Pellet was catapulted to the far bank, micros/4s left & right at 13m and meat at 5m. Actually started on my top 2 plus 1, fishing paste under the tree and I had a carp within 5mins. Unfortunately it was a mad ghostie, which eventually did me under the platform. No more followed, so time to try the meat line, which produced 1 carp, but that was it.

Some carp were now showing themselves by the island and I soon had 6 on 8mm pellet, but they won’t stay in the shallow water. Even a switch to paste failed to produce a proper bite.

Soft pellet at 13m to my right produced 2 small skimmers and 2 F1s quite quickly, but it was slow going after that adding only a couple of roach and another F1. A big skimmer on double caster from under the p3 platform, where I had been feeding caster and meat was my only other silvers. In hindsight I spent too long hoping for a run of skimmers that never turned up.

Some meat fish at 5m and under the p3 platform during the last 90mins bolstered my weight and had I spent less time in search of silvers, I would have probably had a 100lb, but on the day it still won’t have been enough.

1st 178-13 – Tony Rixon – p13
2nd 154- 2 – Tom Mangnall – p22
3rd 121-10 – Mark Poppleton – p11
4th 114-15 – Pete Nurse – p19
5th 105- 1 – Rod Wootton – p32
6th 99- 1 – Bob W – p31

Silvers
1st 28-10 – Rod Wootton – p32
2nd 28- 2 – Martin Pettifer – p31
3rd 24- 8 – Dave Sawyer – p8

No comments: