Sunday 10 August 2014

09/08/14 - Fishponds

Weight - 66lb 0oz
Catch - 10 Carp
Weather - Strong wind, calming down later. Mostly cloudy.
Match - Club - 4th out of 10

Another of our clubs summer afternoon/evening matches at the club lake and I was thankful for the lay-in this morning, following 2 long weeks working on a pension’s project. Unfortunately it has also meant I had to pull out of Mondays match at the Glebe, but work has to come first at the moment.
 
Drawing p25 down the arm of the lake wouldn’t have been my first choice and I wasn’t that enthusiastic about my chances. However upon arriving at the peg the strong wind was blowing down into the arm and thought I would still catch a few. With the wind blowing down the arm, fishing the margins seemed to be the sensible option, but plumbing up revealed I couldn’t fish the top shelf, because of overhanging reeds. It also meant if I wanted to fish next to the pallet I would need to stand up, resting the pole on the reeds to see my float.
 
Fortunately the depth on the 2nd shelf was the same left and right, so these would be my main swims to fish paste over pellet. I also set up a shallow pellet rig, because I full expected to catch a few shallow.
 
Alternating left and right, my first carp came after 30mins, but that that was it for the first hour, which was a worry. In fact everyone seemed to be struggling.
 
The next hour was much better with 5 carp, before it went quiet again, with only a single carp during the 3rd and 4th hours. Even after priming the long shallow line didn’t result in anything, which is very unlike this venue.
 
The final hour only produced another 2 carp, this time from the p24 pallet. The match was won by Andy with what was the lowest weight for a long time. Really not sure why the fish didn’t want to feed. Normally you see the reeds knocking around and fish generally showing themselves, but today there was very little of that. I don’t think it was any coincidence that 1st & 2nd came from the shallowest pegs, but it was fair to say the fish were really off their feed today.
 
1st 113- 0 – Andy Lord – p6
2nd 91- 7 – Andy Bradley – p16
3rd 84- 6 – Dave Bradley – p14
4th 66- 0 – Ken Rayner – p25
5th 53-11 – Glen Putterill – p12

No comments: