Monday 18 August 2014

16/08/14 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 128lb 2oz
Catch - 31 Carp, 2 Roach, 1 F1, 1 Chub, 1 Skimmer
Weather - Bright & sunny
Match - Open - 1st out of 8

Originally I was booked into the open at Rood Ashton, however numbers have dwindled with only 8 turning up last week and this week’s match was cancelled due to lack of interest. Larry has also cancelled the remaining matches, which is a shame, however it presented an opportunity to return to one my favourite venues.

With only 8 of us we had plenty of space and I was pleased to draw p15, mainly because it one I tend to draw quite a bit and nothing to do with the fact it’s a good peg (tongue in cheek).

Seeing the lake for the first time in a couple of months, I was surprised to see the water level down as much as it was, with only a foot of water on the far shelf. Because I was a little out of touch with the venue I set up probably too many rigs, but at least it would allow be to change quickly if required. Since the water was so shallow, I also setup a paste rig to fish the far shelf, mainly because I felt presenting a large target bait and toss potting 6s, would be better than having the fish rushing around under the a constant rain of pellet. Also swinging a pellet rig around was likely to get caught in the overhanging shrubbery.

On the all in meat/hemp was fed to my left at 5m and pellet at 14m to my right. I did start by the P16 pallet after seeing a swirl, but a perch which dropped off was all I got and quickly changed to fishing the far shelf.

The first hour was frustrating on the paste. There was plenty of fish, but was suffering from liners and only managed to land 1 fish. I did switch to fishing meat but again only 1 fish and I was soon back on the paste.

After an hour and only 2 fish in the net I was falling behind Dave Wescott on p18 and Rich Lovering on p13. Using a really soft paste and I was spending more time shipping in and out, rather fishing, so decided to stiffen it up, which resulted in a proper bite and fish on. The next couple hours proved quite productive, catching a couple of fish, before it went quiet and they would return again after a couple pouches of pellet.

The 14m pellet line didn’t really produce anything of value despite a regular pouchful of 6s and the meat line produced the odd carp, but roach were being a nuisance.

With 2 hours left Rich was struggling and Dave had slowed, but Rod on p20 catching quickly and it looked like he would my main threat for the win. The far line kept producing, but the fish tended to be on the small side and felt I needed some proper fish.

The meat line eventually threw up 5 carp in the last 45mins, plus I had a couple more from the p16 pallet, including one hooked a minute before the all out and landed 5mins later, which proved decisive just piping Rod.

So a very pleasant return to Lands End which overall fished very well.

1st 128- 2 – Ken Rayner – p15
2nd 126- 9 – Rod Wootton – p20
3rd 111- 0 – Andy Hembrow – p2
4th 102- 5 – Dave Wescott – p18
5th 90-13 – Mike West – p5

Silvers
1st 15- 4 – Mike West – p5
2nd 11- 8 – Jim Jenner – p11

No comments: