Monday 4 November 2013

03/11/13 - Sedges - Brick Lake

Weight - 28lb 11oz
Catch - 2 Carp, 18 Skimmers, 2 Roach
Weather - Sunshine & showers. Very windy
Match - Club - 6th out of 13

Another wet & windy day, although fortunately we seemed to have missed most of the heavy showers, however the wind was blowing hard.

13 members turned up today for this and on the advice of the fishery were told to avoid pegging the bottom of the lake and I was happy enough to draw p12, although the wind would be straight into this corner of the lake. Because the owner wanted us off the fishery before it got dark, the match was cut to 5hrs, so little time to correct any mistakes.

Today was also the semi-final of the club knock-out and I was drawn against Craig, who has been fishing the Sedges Winter League and was disappointed to draw p5.

With the wind, I set up a 1.5g rig to fish at 11.5m over groundbait (gimps gold & black lake) with caster & pellet. After potting in 4 balls, I started on the pellet feeder, but after 2 casts with pellet & no bites, a switch to corn produced a skimmer, shortly followed by a 2nd, but no carp.

A switch to the pole was slow going on worm, but double maggot was better producing a run of small skimmers, before the swim dried up. Topping up the swim only improved matter a little, but small skimmers wasn’t going to get me anywhere, besides a few carp started to show around the lake and since I hadn’t caught any decent skimmers on this line it was binned.

Back on the feeder and I managed another skimmer, but I really needed a carp. I had been feeding 4s and corn at 5m from the start, but trying to get any sort of presentation on the pole in the deep water was difficult due to the wind and tow. I had a few knocks, losing a foulhooker, but no fish in the net.

Since I couldn’t get any decent presentation I could have changed to a heavier float, but decided it was easier to drop a straight lead rig with hair rigged corn at 5m. I soon had another skimmer, following by a 12lb carp, before the line died.

With 90mins to go I started feeding caster and corn into the left margin, which produced 1 carp on double caster, but no other bites.

A disappointing day. The wind ruined what should have been a decent day, however in hindsight I think I got several things wrong. I shouldn’t have bothered with the long groundbait line, since there wasn’t a silvers pay out and I should have targeted carp all match. Also I should have fished worm more often on the hook. Andy won the match fished worm over caster fished at 5m.

At least I managed to beat Craig who had 17-13 to progress into the knock out final. The top 3 all came from the pegs with spare pegs in between.

1st 75-15 – Andy Lord – p18
2nd 43- 2 – Chris Davidge – p14
3rd 41-11 – Ian Pople – p16
4th 39-15 – Andy Bradley – p10
5th 30- 5 – Tim Allen – p7
6th 28-11 – Ken Rayner – p12

No comments: