Monday 4 November 2013

02/11/13 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 32lb 0oz (18lb 12oz - silvers)
Catch - 24 Perch, 8 Roach, 5 Skimmers, 2 Ide, 1 Hybrid, 2 Carp
Weather - Showery and windy
Match - Open - Jt 1st silvers (8th out of 12 overall)

The wind and rain has been with us all week, but at least it’s slowly topping up the lakes which were in need of water following a hot summer.

With the Lands End winter League nearing there was a few extra bodies fishing today. Initially it was thought 14 would be fishing, but 2 didn’t turn up so all 12 of us were on Match Lake.

The bulk of the fish seem to be around pegs 15-19 at the moment, but I found myself on p22, which was disappointing, because 3 of the last matches I’ve been on 22, 23 & 24. At least a few silvers have shown in the area, so if there wasn’t any carp then hopefully I could target a few silvers.

For company Martin Heard was on p20 and Dave Wescott on p24. Fortunately the strong wind was from behind again and the trees were proving an effective barrier, which meant fishing long wasn’t a problem. Once again I set up rigs to cover both carp and silvers, but ultimately only caught on 2 of the 4 set up.
- HB Frostie 0.2g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet (caster/maggot – island & margin)
- HB Chump 0.4g > .12 > 18 silverfish pellet (down the track)

On the all in micros & 4s was deposited at 14m at the bottom of the shelf by the point of the island and 14m to my left again at the bottom of the shelf. Caster was also fed at 5m & on top of the far shelf.

Starting on corn hoping for an early carp didn’t produce anything other than a few knocks. Double caster by the island produced a number of perch, but nothing bigger than 6oz. The 5m line also failed to produce anything bigger. I also started feeding caster into the right hand margin, but again nothing of any size. Where had last week’s big perch gone? I wondered whether the week’s heavy rain was having an effect, because it was slow for most.

My 2 pellet lines were also struggling to produce. The right hand swim, which I kept topped up by cupping in a small amount of pellet, but it only produced a few small roach. As for the left hand swim, this had been topped up with loose fed 4s, produced 1 carp and a small hybrid on 4mm expander.

With 2hrs left I probably had 5-6lb of silvers, whilst the anglers to my left where catching, particularly Rod Wootton and Nick Merry on pegs 15 & 17. Dave was struggling on p24, but Steve Seagar on p1 had netted a couple of skimmers and I was hopefully they would start to feed.

My swims seemed to died, since I could catch anywhere, so decided to cup in a pot of caster and a few micros into the 14m right swim and kept the loose feeding 4s into the left hand swim. The last 90mins proved to be the best of the match. By rotating left and right, I caught 3 decent skimmers and a carp from the left swim on expander, plus 2 big ide, a skimmer and big perch from the right on double dead maggot.

I was sure I had overtaken Steve for the silvers, but was surprised when he weighed 15-8, because I thought I only had 15lb. Eric Fouracre plonked 18-12 on the scales and I was adamant I didn’t have that. As expected pegs 15, 17 & 19 all framed. So I was pleasantly surprised to weight 18-12 and jointly claim the silvers money with Eric.

1st 105- 5 – Rod Wootton – p15
2nd 95- 3 – Nick Merry – p17
3rd 62- 7 – Mark Poppleton – p19
4th 50- 0 – Keith Fielder – p7
5th 43-12 – Martin Heard – p20
6th 41- 1 – Mike Duckett – p13

Silvers
1st 18-12 – Ken Rayner – p22
1st 18-12 – Eric Fouracre – p7
3rd 15- 8 – Steve Seagar – p1

No comments: