Monday 5 August 2013

04/08/13 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 69lb 14oz
Catch - 28 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather - Windy. Cloudy & odd shower
Match - Club - 1st out of 15

Today was a club match at Rood Ashton and with 15 booked in I was able to spread the pegs around the lake, leaving out the worst areas. There was a strong wind blowing into the far bank and I fancied a draw between 10 & 15 so was a little disappointed to see 1 staring back at me. Fortunately I had the foresight to put 1 between what are normally 1 & 2, so I had a bit more room than normal.
 
Mark had warned me the lake fishes differently during the day than the evening and as such I did bring a tip rod to fish the method, but the intention was not to use it.
 
I started on paste by the left hand tree and then pellet, but after 30mins and only 1 roach, plus a couple of foul hooked fish the pole line looked like it might not work. The wind which now quite strong and blowing into the small island opposite where a few fish had topped, so I had no choice but to try the method, which was loaded with groundbait and a few 4s, with 3 dead maggots on the hook.
 
Casting to the end of the island the tip went round straight away and a 6lber was soon netted. The following 5 casts produced 4 carp before the swim died. In fact this was the pattern for the day. Catch 2 or 3 quick fish, before trying somewhere else and when I went back to the original swim catch a couple more before they backed off again.
 
I kept 2 pole lines regularly topped up, 11m by the tree with pellet and meat 11m down the margin at the bottom of the shelf. Other than one foul hooker the meat line didn’t produce, whilst I managed a couple of fish from the pellet swim. I really wanted the pellet swim to work, because the average stamp of fish was much better than those I was catching on the method, which were averaging 1½-2lb. But with the wind blowing out of the bank the fish just didn’t seem comfortable coming in.
 
I nearly cost myself the match win in the last 20mins when I spent too much time unsuccessfully chasing fish I saw moving around tight in the right hand margin. Generally my bank fished poorly, although Roger provided the entertainment by not paying attention when his rod got dragged in. He eventually retrieved it, but not before stepping on a pole section – ouch!
 
As expected the fish on the far bank were a bigger stamp, but fortunately no one had enough of them, although Craig’s 16 carp for 65lb ran me close.
 
So a double win weekend and next Saturdays Angling Trust Match at the Glebe is now paid for. Just hope there are some proper teams fishing unlike last year, when 80% of the field was made up of Marukyu sponsored Glebe members and internet teams.
 
1st 69-14 - Ken Rayner - p1
2nd 65- 9 - Craig Davidge - p11
3rd 51- 4 - Chris Davidge - p14
4th 49- 9 - Andy Lord - p9
5th 48-10 - Glenn Putterill - p13
6th 45- 2 - Joe Thompson - p12

No comments: