Monday 5 August 2013

03/08/13 - Lands End - Match

Weight - 128lb 14oz
Catch - 32 Carp, 4 Roach, 2 Perch, 1 Tench
Weather - Sunshine & some thundery showers
Match - Open - 1st out of 11

I debated about whether to go to Acorns or Lands End. Checking the Acorns website I got the impression the Saturday opens weren’t as well attended as the midweekers, so finally settled on Lands End, purely because I prefer it as a fishery.
 
With 11 booked in we were all on Match Lake and reports suggested it has been fishing well, however with the recent up & down weather I wasn’t sure it would continue. Mike earlier in the week had topped up the lakes, which had stirred up the fish and the Thursday evening match had fished well.
 
I had to smile when I drew 15, as it’s a peg I spent a fair bit of time on and when I arrived there was a few fish moving around, so I was hopefully of a good day. For company I had Tom Mangnall on p13, which has been in good form recently and Nigel Bartlett on p18, who would focus on the silvers.
 
The last time I fished Match Lake was back in the spring, so I wasn’t sure what would work, so brought everything, paste, meat, pellet, caster and maggot. Conscience I could end up confusing myself, when I drew the peg I decided to focus on the carp, but still managed to set up far too many rigs and only ended up using 3 of them during the day.
 
The plan was to fish meat @ 5m to my left at the bottom of the shelf, paste/pellet to my right by the bush and pellet across. On the all-in I swung the long line rig to 8lber and it took the 8mm pellet straightaway. I swung the rig at a couple more fish without success and after 5mins they all disappeared. I had started firing 6s at the far bank to my left and tried swinging the rig into the feed, but no bites. My experience of fishing shallow at Lands End isn’t great and if you keep firing pellet, the fish just frantically swim around chasing the pellet and you end up foul hooking. So I decided to feed a pouch of pellet when I playing a fish, followed up by a toss pot of 6s. Using a 3x8 float set to fish the 8mm pellet on top of the far shelf, by lifting & dropping, I finishing the 2nd hour with 11 carp and was a few fish ahead of Tom who was catching down the left hand bank.
 
Before the match Mike asked Tom and Mike West on p11 whether they were OK if the aerator came on for hour at 1pm, which they both agreed to do. Ultimately Mike was concerned that with the thundery weather around he wanted to ensure his fish didn’t go belly up. Unfortunately for Tom he didn’t catch during that hour. I also struggled and ended up trying further right along the island. Although I had a tench and a carp, it didn’t seemed right, so decided to dump some caster fishing double caster on the hook, which brought 1 more carp, but also a few roach, so that idea was soon binned and stuck with the pellet, finishing the 3rd hour with 14 carp.
 
It’s always a nice feeling knowing that if you keep going you are likely to frame and I was enjoying myself, despite the rain and the odd thunder clamp.
 
After the wave machine stopped Tom started catching again, but never ask him how many he has, because according to him I was miles ahead, which didn’t really seem right, particularly when he had a run of fish down his right hand margin.
 
My meat line turned out to be a waste of time, producing only a couple perch and a roach. I don’t think the fish wanted to be down the track in the deeper water. I had tried paste close to the bush earlier in the match, but only had a couple of liners, so had decided to regularly feed pellet by the p16 platform.
 
The fourth hour produced a further 5 carp, 4 from the far bank and 1 down by the platform.  The 5th hour was my best period adding a further 8 carp, before it slowed down during the last hour adding a couple more fish from the p16 platform.
 
On the all out Tom said he only had 17 carp – yeah right! I thought I had about 130lb, but I got a bit concerned when Tom plonked 125lb on the scales including 9lb of skimmers. So it was a lot closer than I expected, but the rest of the lake seemed to have fished harder probably due to the indifferent weather.
 
1st 128-14 - Ken Rayner - p15
2nd 125- 3 - Tom Mangnall - p13
3rd 79-12 - Scott Puddy - p1
4th 77- 0 - Dan Phither - p3
5th 67- 0 - Eric Fouracre - p22
6th 37-10 - Mike Duckett - p7
 
Silvers
1st 29- 1 - Nigel Bartlett - p18
2nd 23- 0 - Eric Fouracre - p22
3rd 13- 4 - Dave Wescott - p24

No comments: