Friday 2 August 2013

01/08/13 - Rood Ashton

Weight - 45lb 4oz
Catch - 13 Carp
Weather - Hot & sunny start. Southerly wind
Match - Wiltshire Angling Evening Series - 4th out of 10 (2nd of out 5-section)

Tonight’s match would be the last evening match of the summer at Rood Ashton and whilst I was out of contention for the series, I wanted to get back a bit of pride due to some indifferent performances. However, the league is very competitive and I haven’t quite got to grips with venues.

I arrived early so had plenty of time to walk around the lake and really fancied a draw on the far bank where the wind was blowing. I got my wish drawing the birdcage and was hopefully for a few fish.

Due to the shortening days the match would only be 3¼hrs finishing at 9pm, before it got too dark to weigh in. I decided to stick with 2 swims, 11.5m in open water and under the tree to my right where it was slightly deeper.

Starting at 11.5m with a ½ pot of 4s & 6s I tried paste initially, but after 15mins switched to a pellet rig with 10mm JPZ, toss potting 6s and soon caught 4 carp in 30mins, as well as foul hooking a couple.

The following 30mins I couldn’t catch, which was odd. I had been regularly toss potting pellet, with a few pouches of pellet and there seemed to be fish in the swim, but they just didn’t want to get their heads down, preferring to hover above the feed. In the end I started to dump ½ pot of pellet after each fish which worked and it reduced the number of foul hookers. I caught most fish on the pellet rig, lifting and dropping with most bites coming as the bait reached the bottom.

In the meantime I had kept feeding under tree, which produced 4 carp late on, on paste.

Immediately after the match, it was obvious my bank hadn’t fished well and it looked like I had the best weight, however Stu White was in my section, pegged on the end bank and he won the match fishing meat in the margins, which meant I picked up the section money by de-fault.

Funny moment of match was watching Pete Neate swimming the length of the lake to retrieve his top 6 which had been taken by a carp from peg 1. Fair shout to him, he eventually found it on the other side of the big island with the fish still attached.

1st 98- 8 – Stuart White – p6 (end bank)
2nd 63- 0 – Tony Gilbert – p5 (the point)
3rd 55-12 – Ian Willetts – p2 (the lawns)
4th 45- 4 – Ken Rayner – p7 (bird cage)
5th 39- 0 – Gary Etheridge – p3 (the lawns)
6th 38- 8 – Rich Brimble – p4 (the corner)

No comments: