Sunday 22 July 2012

21/07/12 - Fishponds

Weight - 100lb 9oz
Catch - 14 Carp
Weather - Warm & sunny! What no rain?
Match - Club (rod & reel match) - 6th out of 7

With 7 of us there should have been plenty of space for everyone, however I drew peg 7 which the 1 peg that didn't offer any space, yet there was only 1 angler pegged in the arm of the lake and 1 angler on the long bank. Needless to say I wasn't happy and my run of poor draws continues.

The peg itself isn't that bad when there are more anglers on the lake, however it is a pole peg rather than a rod & reel peg (starting to sound all bitter and twisted now). Its set back in amongst the reeds at the mouth of a small bay, with no real open water to attack, otherwise you are interfering with peg 12.

With flat calm conditions, my options were fairly limited, so decided to attack the far bank. I could have used the feeder, but I much prefer to fish the float and set up a waggler to fish on the deck in 6ft of water and a pellet waggler, feeding 8s.

After 90mins I had 3 carp from the far bank, but going nowhere. I had been feeding short and managed a few carp. As for the far bank I had started been feeding fewer pellets more often, to try and encourage the fish up in the water, but some ducks appeared and I promptly hooked one , which then dived deep into the nearside reeds. A trip in the boat was required to free the bird and recover my rig.

The rest of the match was just plain frustrating. I had to work really hard to avoid the carp kiting into the reeds and I did lose a couple, simply because the peg is set back too far to get any purchase on the carp to pull'em away, hence the reason why this more of a pole peg.

In the end I lost 7 or 8 carp, a couple were a result of simple hook pulls, but I was always going to struggle, unless the wind is blowing into the bay.

1st 195-3 - Glenn - p3
2nd 152-15 - Eddie - p12
3rd 109- 2 - Marcus - p16
4th 104- 0 - Chris - p6
5th 103- 8 - Andy - p12
6th 100- 9 - Ken - p7

No comments: