Sunday 15 July 2012

14/07/12 - Glebe - pool 4

Weight - 86lb 4oz
Catch - 30 Carp, 14 Skimmers, 2 Perch, 1 Roach
Weather - Heavy overnight rain. Cool start, warm & sunny later.
Match - MFS website - 3rd out of 6 section

Peg 73 on pool 4 was my home for the day. At least I managed to get away from pool 1 having fished it 3 times in 4 visits.

Pool 4 is one of the strip lakes with 10 pegs, unfortunately the feedback was it is a great feeder peg, but generally not a great draw and checking the results from yesterdays match and only 13lb came from the peg for plum last!. Peg 66 which is the end peg was suppose to be the best peg on the lake, so it looked like I was at the wrong end again, although at least this time there was a nice ripple on the water.

Yesterdays after match chat was a little mixed. Corn didn't work for some, but worked for others, also expanders seemed to be working for 30-40lb bag of skimmers at 6m. The one thing that didn't seem to working was pellet shallow, with most catching on the deck.

I had decided to use caster shallow, but due to the heavy overnight rain, the start of the match was quite cool & cloudy so started on the deck feeding corn & hemp at 13m and then 6mm pellet & corn at 6m. The 13m line was a waste of time with only 1x 1lb carp caught on double corn, whilst the short line produced small skimmers and carp up to 2lb on either 6mm expander or corn, feeding a small handful of pellet & corn.

After about an hour I had about 10lb and already feeling like today would be better than yesterday. The sun was starting to make an appearance making it feel a lot warmer, so I also started to feed caster, whilst I stayed on the 6m line.

The rest of the match was spent mostly fishing shallow, switching occasionally back to the short line and my margin. Initially I was really struggling to catch shallow. There was plenty of fish showing, but they just didn't seem to be feeding properly and it was only after an hour that I started to get a run of fish together, but I had to keep chasing the fish around the swim, including some caught shallow at 6m.

Then the wind dropped completely and the fish became really difficult to catch - again. It then just became a case of feeding 2 or 3 pouches of caster in one hit to pull the fish is then try to drop the bait on the nose of a passing carp. I had a few on the waggler when they shyed completely away from the pole.

Normally I would expect 30 carp to go at least 100lb, but today I had quite a few squeakers, as well as a couple of 8-9lbers. The disappointment for me was not being able to make my margin work. I had been feeding it with corn and hemp, but when I went over it with double corn I would get loads of little dinks and the odd  "proper" bites but no fish. I only needed a couple of decent margin fish to claim 2nd in section. So I obviously got the feeding wrong and need to approach it differently next time I'm here

1st 152- 4 - RossN (Glebe) - p100 (pool 7)
2nd 140-12 - Neil Powell (Hillbilly) - p85 (pool 5)
3rd 137- 6 - Martin Church (Wales) - p70 (pool 4)
4th 137- 0 - NoHope - p98 (pool 7)
5th 126- 8 - Rob Dickinson - p102 (pool 7)
6th 124- 8 - Hathers - p109 (pool 7)

No comments: