Monday 23 July 2012

22/07/12 - Trinity Waters - Wildmarsh

Weight - 26lb 0oz (9lb 8oz - silvers)
Catch - 3 Carp, 96 Rudd, 79 Roach, 4 Motherless Minnows, 2 Perch
Weather - Hot & sunny.
Match - Avon Angling Open - 7th out of 30 (3rd out of 10 - section)

After yesterdays fiasco, I really needed a good match and Wildmarsh Lake has been quite good to me in the past. With 30 booked in, Tony split the lake into 3 sections, with 1 section made up of carp pegs, with most concentrated around the island.

I drew 16 which was in the carp section and the feedback suggested it wasn't the best, however with the wind blowing my way, although not much ripple I was hopeful. The peg itself is set at an odd angle, facing pegs 14 (Mike West) and 15 (empty corner). I had a reed bed and small tree down my right hand side, but due to the angle of the peg and the height of the reeds, I ended up setting my box to the far left of the peg making full use of the extending legs, so I could get out into the water as much as possible (next time I fish this lake I bring my penrose platform).

Once I finally got myself settled I noticed a few rudd in front of me and knew from experience that generally the carp dont show in any numbers, so a back up line was required. I also set up a line 13m to my left into the open water, feeding 3 pots of groundbait, caster, worm and pellet. To be honest this was a throw away line, since I didn't expect too many skimmers to be in this part of the lake and that's what happened, after 2 attempts during the match and only 2 roach, this line was binned.

On the all in, I went straight over to the reeds with paste hoping for an early carp, but after 20mins and only 1 roach it was obvious there was none around. A switch to my top and I was soon catching tiny rudd on maggot, feeding caster. After a few rig adjustments and a switch to caster I continued to catch slightly better rudd, but more roach began to show. As the match progressed, I had to fish top 3 and by fishing a little deeper managed a few better roach up to 3oz.

In the meantime my margin swim was topped up every 30mins with 1/2 pot of meat & pellet. I also set up another swim at 11m straight in front and this got a regular top up as well.

With 75mins to go my short line was slowing and it was time to catch some carp, having given them plenty of time to settle. First put in on meat produced a carp after 5mins, followed by a better one 10mins later on paste, before the small fish re-appeared. The 11m line failed to produce anything other than a couple knocks from suspected silvers, whilst Mike had 3 carp for 30lb in 3 put ins from his long line. Back into my margin and I had 1 final carp on paste.

Just 1 more carp would have seen me claim the section by default, with Dean beating me by 2lb, but I had an enjoyable day with plenty of bites.

1st - 58-12 - Paul Locke - p22 (paste @ 13m)
2nd - 57- 07 - Mike West - p14 (paste)
3rd - 38-11 - Anton Page - p11
4th - 30-14 - Tony Rixon - island 3 (paste!)
5th - 30-13 - Dave Roper - p6
6th - 28- 4 - Dean Malin - p42

Silvers
1st - 34- 0 - Paul Lock
2nd - 20- 8 - Tony Rixon
3rd - 20- 3 - Nicky Collins

No comments: