Sunday 1 January 2012

31/01/11 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 22lb 0oz (8lb 3oz – silvers)
Catch – 42 Roach, 4 Carp, 3 Perch, 3 Skimmers, 1 Golden Tench
Weather – Very mild, mostly cloudy.
Water Temp – 8.2c – 8.7c
Match – Open – 5th out of 10

We have a new edition to the Rayner household, a 9 week old Blue Staffordshire Bull Terrier. A friend of Sues had 7 pedigree pups, unfortunately 1 of them which we have called Sapphire has a deformed leg, so couldn’t be sold and it will need to be amputated in a few weeks. However she is a lovely little hound, who has very sharp teeth and is a proper bundle of energy!

Wednesdays match suggested that the pegs at the bottom of the lake would be best, particularly with the forecast winds (which never materialised), so I was really disappointed to draw peg 1, which as well as being at the windward end the lake has been has been fishing awful. Rod Wootton drew p24 opposite on Wednesday and didn’t weigh and if he can’t catch carp, then they are not there. Also the carp generally tend to smaller in these pegs.

I started off on corn, 13m down the left hand bank at the bottom of the shelf without any indications, but I did have a 3lb golden tench over some micros I deposited at 13m in open water. With no more fish showing, a switch to fishing the top of the shelf with maggot (0.1g HB frostie, .10 bottom & 20 silverfish pellet) only produced 1 roach, so that only got 5mins.

A further switch to fishing at the bottom of the shelf with caster (4x16 jolly, .10 bottom & 20 silverfish maggot) produced a run of roach 1-3oz roach, plus a couple of small carp, toss potting caster.

I had been feeding caster under the tree to my right but never had a fish here despite feeding it all match. Nigel Bartlett in the meantime opposite was starting to catch roach (in fact a lot of roach) at 4m, yet I had to go 13m. The only thing I could put it down to be the sun was behind Nigel and with the trees, it provided more shade in the relatively clear water.

My 13m line started to dry up, but none of my other lines was producing. With 90mins left and the falling light levels, I moved back up the shelf fishing tight to the end bank at 14-16m and caught a few more roach. There were carp moving at 18-19m under the tree, but because Nigel was fishing short they weren’t under any pressure to come my side, so I started to catapult caster, which worked with a few better roach, as well as a couple more carp.

To be honest I had quite an enjoyable match, with plenty of bites, but I was never going to compete with the bottom pegs. I was surprised, as was Nigel with the lack of perch, but during the weigh in it was obvious they liked the company of the carp, because they too were down the other end. Never mind, a new venue to try on Monday, then back to work Tuesday.

1st 47-3 - Chris K – p7 (incl 19-15 of silvers – mostly from the top of the shelf on maggot & caster)
2nd 42-12 - Alan Oram – p11
3rd 38- 0 – Steve Seagar – p15
4th 22- 6 – Nigel Bartlett – p24 (all silvers)
5th 22- 0 – Ken Rayner – p1
6th 20-11 – Jim Jenner – p3

No comments: