Saturday 28 January 2012

27/01/12 - Lavington - Merretts

Weight – 60lb 8oz (12lb 0oz – silvers)
Catch – 19 Skimmers, 8 Carp, 1 Roach
Weather – Frosty start. Mostly sunny, slight breeze. Showery later.
Water Temp – 7.1c – 7.7c

With nothing planned for the weekend, I got an e-mail from Mark asking whether I wanted to go fishing, because he couldn’t go during the weekend because he was laminating his kitchen floor.

As the week progressed the weather was getting colder and the cold I picked up was getting worse. I woke up at 2.30 feeling rough, so decided to watch 3 episodes of Battlestar Galactica, cooked myself a sausage sandwich, before driving to the lake, hoping some fresh air would do me some good, although Mark kept his distance most of the day.

Mark decided to target the carp on corn. Me on the other hand wanted to improve my soft pellet fishing, so settled on fishing 4mm expander and occasionally a JPZ pellet at 13m over micros. My rig in the 7ft deep swim was a HB 0.4g frostie, .10 bottom and 18 silverfish pellet hook. I also had a 0.2g frostie to fish the 4ft deep margin swim, but with .13 bottom and 18 B911, since I was expecting some carp. Over my 13m line I was hoping for skimmers, however I wasn’t sure if they would feed after yesterday’s cold rain and today was cold, bright and flat.

It was nearly an hour before I got my first fish, a skimmer at 13m, but by toss potting a pinch of micros every put in I had a run of skimmers. As the session progressed, whenever the pole line slowed and needed a rest, I would try the lead & corn.

I caught 3 carp on the lead and 3 at 13m. As for my margin, I had been feeding micros all day and eventually caught 2 carp, plus a skimmer late on. My 8 carp weighed 48lb, plus 12lb of skimmers. Whilst Marks 8 carp weighed 40lb. A really enjoyable day despite my permanently blocked nose!

No comments: