Tuesday 1 September 2009

31/08/09 - Rood Ashton

Weight – 132lb 15oz
Catch – 45 Carp.
Weather – Warm & cloudy, later sunny. Breezy
Water Temp– 17.5c > 19.0c
Match – Rainbow Trust Charity – 1st Overall

20 had booked in for this match, but a couple of late drop outs, meant 18 would be fishing in 2 sections of 9. At least it meant Mark could leave a couple of the worse pegs out.

I asked Mark what pegs he fancied. 5, 6, 15, 16 & 17 was the reply, so when I drew peg 5 I knew I was in the right area. Unfortunately for Mark, he drew peg 10, which was in the corner. It looked a cracking peg, expect the wind was blowing in the opposite direction.

Whilst setting up a couple local spotted I had a couple of pellet wagglers set up, which apparently doesn’t work here. At the start of the match, I immediately started under the tree to my right on paste, because I had noticed a few fish moving around and I hoped for a couple of mug fish. 15 mins later I had 1x 4lber in the net, but bumped 2 others. In the meantime I started feeding my 13m line with 6mms and the waggler line with 8mms.

After an hour, I managed 4 carp from under the tree and 1 on the waggler. The 13m didn’t produce (although I only tried it for 5mins), so I decided to ditch it in favour of concentrating on just the 2 lines. As the match progressed the waggler line got stronger & stronger.

From what I could see peg 2 (where I practiced on Friday) was catching, as was Nick on the bottom bank. It was noticeable the fish preferred to have a ripple over their heads and for 3 hours I caught consistently on the waggler and knew barring a disaster I was likely to be in the frame.

The 5th hour of the match proved really difficult with only 3 fish. The wind had dropped and the sun came out. There was obviously still fish in the swim, but they wouldn’t take the bait. I tried a longer hooklength, but that only resulted in foul hookers and my paste line was only producing iffy bites. I really wanted the paste line to produce, because you tended to get the bigger fish. Fortunately the average size on the waggler was better than on Fridays practice, so I didn’t persevere too long on the paste.

Going into the last hour the fishing picked up, it was still bright and there was a little more ripple on the water, however I had to wait a little longer for the bites. Previously I was hooking fish almost immediately of the waggler landing, but I now had to wait up to a minute before I got a proper bite.

In the end I had 37 fish on the waggler, which isn’t bad for a method that doesn’t work. Apparently no one can remember the pellet waggler winning at Rood Ashton.

Overall, it was a really enjoyable match, not because I won (although that helps), but I kept things simple struck to the game plan. To be honest, I felt confident the waggler would work on most pegs, simple because any anglers who were casting out beyond the pole line were using method feeders.

Nick finished 2nd with 102lb and 81lb was 3rd.

No comments: