Monday 7 September 2009

05/09/09 - Plantations - Horseshoe Lake

Weight – 41lb 7oz
Catch – 15 Roach, 13 Bream, 11 Carp, 3 Rudd, 2 Perch
Weather – Cloudy, blustery, showers.
Water Temp– 15.5c > 16.0c

Really going through loads of emotions at the moment. On the positive side I’ve changed jobs internally, which whilst daunting does offer a new set of challenges and in the long term should get me back to earning some decent money again. My fishing has been going well, with the last 4 trips accounting for 714lb. Suzanne on the other hand is really having a mare. A few weeks ago I commented every time we take 2 steps forward, we have to take 1 back, unfortunately it now feels like 3 steps back. Once Sue is up and running, things will improve, but at the moment we have been let down by 2x 3rd parties, which is bloody frustrating.

As for today’s session it really was a practice session for tomorrows match. The last time I fished here was about 18 months ago, so I was really unsure how to approach the match.

A week of heavy rains and cooler weather, I was sure would have an effect. I started on the pole at 3m, fishing maggot, but after 45 mins, I only had 17 small fish and no signs of it improving. I had been catapulting 4mm to the island and fed micro pellet at the bottom of the shelf.

As the session progressed I caught skimmers on the 11m line with soft pellet or corn. The island swim initially produced some carp shallow, but they kept drifting in and out of the swim, I tried paste tight across, which produced a couple more of fish. To finish the session I tried down the edge, where I had been feeding 4 & 6mm, this produced 3 more carp, including my biggest of the session at 7-11.

I am glad I made the effort, because I now had a clearer plan for tomorrow. As for the venue, it has great potential and I know the owners son did a lot of work 2/3 years, but since he has stopped his involvement the lake has been allowed to overgrow. There was a handful of swims that have been allowed to overgrow and the reeds make fishing the margins any longer than 4m impossible.

No comments: