Monday 7 September 2009

06/09/09 - Plantations - Horsehsoe Lake

Weight – 14lb 11oz
Catch – 10 Bream, 7 Roach, 4 Carp
Weather – Sunny, becoming increasingly windy
Water Temp– 16.0c > 17.0c
Match – Club Match – 3rd overall

I really didn’t know where I wanted to draw, but with the wind blowing into the bottom of the lake, that would seem favourite. When I drew 2 pegs to the left of were I fished yesterday in the middle I was a little disappointed. There were 3 of us sharing the same island, Graham to my left and Stuart opposite.

I decided on 4 swims, the island, 11.5m at the bottom of the shelf slightly to my right, 10m to my right at the bottom of the near shelf and the margin at 4m to my right.

Having fed my deep water (4ft) swims, I immediately started tight to the island with paste feeding 4mm with the paste. 10mins later I had 2 carp and thought great, but that was it and the rest of the match proved to be a struggle. I had a few skimmers from the bottom of the shelf swims, but had to set up a heavier rig after 2 hour changing from a jolly 4x14 to a polar ice 0.5g because the wind was becoming increasingly troublesome. I could hardly catch on pellet or corn, with most of my fish coming to double red maggot, including a small carp.

The island swim produced another carp late on, whilst I never had a bite in my margin.

This lake has a reputation as a good pleasure fishing water, but a difficult match water and so it proved. Craig only needed 32lb to win the match, beating Chris by 1lb. This was Craig’s first match win, so he was happy. He caught carp on top of the bar at 12m, using maggot, he even had a chub, which must have lost its way. Well done Craig.

I am sure the cool weather during the week had a bearing on results and I got the feeling fishing chopped worm & caster would have been a better way to go.

As for the league, I managed to increase my lead by 1pt.

1st Ken Rayner 156pts
2nd Ian Pople 150
3rd Andy Lord 141
4th Craig Davidge 137
5th Jim Taylor 126

No comments: