Sunday 9 August 2009

06/08/09 - Plantations - Main Lake

Weight – 91lb 0oz
Catch – 23 Carp, 1 Fantail.
Weather – Bright start, becoming showery
Water Temp– 20.5c > 20.5c


Spent a day fishing with James & my godson Ross. It is nearly 10 months since we last got together, so we felt it was about time!

Decided on the main lake at Plantations, simply because Jim doesn’t do much pole fishing and Plantations offered plenty of open water for the waggler or lead. I set Ross up with 1 of my lead rods and told him he would catch soon. He gave me a disbelieving look, which soon changed to a big smile when he landed a 2lb carp after 5 minutes.

As for myself, I decided to keep things simple, purely because I knew I would periodically be required to help Jim & Ross, so I settled on the pellet waggler cast towards the island.
The challenge today was the very flat conditions with no ripple on the surface. Fishing was never hectic. I would catch a couple, then nothing, catch a couple more then nothing.

However I did have to contend with the old boy to my right casting a dirty great big method feeder, getting closer and closer to my swim. When he left, a couple of young lads started casting a 2oz lead towards the island from the corner of the lake! It amazes me the lack of respect some people have. As it happen he caught the island and lost his rig – oh well never mind. And finally there was the ducks! Need I say more?

The real issue today was the flat conditions, I am certain had there been a ripple the fish would have fed more confidently. I initially struggled on a 14 B960 to 0.19, but when I switched to 16 B960 to 0.17 I started to catch more regularly. I also lost a few fish some were foul hookers, but I think the majority were only lightly hooked, because of the carp I actually landed most were only nicked in the lips.

Jim & Ross had an enjoyable day, catching 51lb. Jim spent most of his time on the tip, whilst Ross was well pleased to catch 3½lb of silvers on the whip.

1 comment:

rachael goatman said...

SUPERB SUPERB SUPERB!!!! LOVELY PHOTOS GREAT WRITE UP ROSS CHUFFED TO BE AND VERY PROUD TO BE PART OF YOUR BLOG HAVE SAVED AS A FAVOURITE SO WE CAN KEEP AN EYE ON YOU!!! LOVE THE GOATMANS