Monday 29 June 2009

27/06/09 - Fishponds

Weight – 250lb 7oz
Catch – 34 Carp, 1 Bream.
Weather – Sunny & warm.
Water Temp– 20.5c > 21.0c

It’s been a mixed and interesting week. Still no news regarding the 3rd party that wants to buy us, yet its been 1 of the most boring and quietest weeks I have experience at work. Regardless of what happens I’ll either receive a decent redundancy package or still have a job, even if that job isn’t what I want to do (trying to keep positive!).

On a more positive note Suzanne may actually be working soon. Admittedly it may be self employed which has its risks, but the opportunity does mean working from home. For the 1st time in a while, Sue has her sparkle back and there has been a sense of optimism in the Rayner household. Fingers crossed, because if Sue does gets the job, its mean I can get back to proper fishing.

As for today, I was back at my club water, thinking of breaking the 300lb barrier. I settled on corner peg 16, with the intention of fishing pole & paste. Decided on 3 swims. The 1st was 8m to my left along the margin, because that has been a reliable area in the past. The 2nd swim was 10m in front, because I’ve noticed the bigger fish tend to be caught in the open water. The 3rd swim was to be in the shallow corner to my right, but there was loads of small rudd on the surface, so 8 or 11mm pellet would be the bait.

As I started there was a few carp cruising the surface, in fact I swear 1 of the carp was chasing the rudd. 1st put in on the left hand swim I had a 6lb carp 1st cast, then nothing for another 45mins. This wasn’t in the script and I knew straight away 300lb wasn’t going to be possible. Perhaps I would have been better choosing an open water swim and fishing shallow?

Moving into the 2nd hour I started to get more indications, concentrating on the 10m line and a 17lb 1oz common was very welcome. You know when you have a proper munter when you have to shake the fish into the net!

As the session progressed, I didn’t bother with the right had swim, simply because I felt I would be spending more time pulling fish out of the reeds than actually fishing. The 10m line was definitely the best, whilst the left hand swim was a struggle, which was a surprise.

On the whole I felt the carp weren’t feeding properly, I had a few fish hooked around the mouth and I lost a few fish where the hook pulled for no particular reason. The issue today was high pressure had taken over from low pressure yesterday, where there was some heavy rain. Also I had brought 6mm pellet, instead of the usual 8mm. Normally I would throw a handful of pellet, but today I found it best to mould a fistful of pellet in to ball, so it sank quicker.

As expected the session improved as it moved into what was a beautiful evening. As well as the 17lber, I also had 4 more doubles, including a mirror of 14lb 2oz.

Just reading Tim Ford’s blog, I am glad to say I avoided killing the reed warbler, which was in attendance for most of the day.

I wont fishing next week, instead I will be preparing for a car boot sale on Sunday to get some much needed cash. Unless I fancy a mid week session, my next fishing trip will on Rushcombe Lake at Bullocks Farm practising for a club match.

Yesterday (Sunday) Suzanne & I went for a drive to take advantage of the good weather and we ended up at Lacock. As I looked over the road bridge there were 5 chub sitting in the flow, 1 of which can’t have been far away from 5lb. Have to say I started to feel nostalgic for the days when I used to regularly fish the river, but I never managed a river barbel (except for 1 of 3oz which doesn’t count) and I keep meaning to get back to the river and give it go.

No comments: