Tuesday 16 June 2009

14/06/09 - Fishponds

Weight – 77lb 9oz
Catch – 11 Carp, 1 Eel.
Weather – Warm & sunny. Slight breeze.
Water Temp– 19.5c > 20.0c
Match – Club Match – 2nd overall

The weather forecast was looking favourable, the issue would be, had the carp finished spawning. Alas no, the reeds were thrashing all around the lake. So coupled with 19 anglers fishing a difficult day was in prospect.

I fancied an open water draw so I could fish the waggler or long pole shallow, but peg 27 was in a corner and the waggler rods stayed in the bag. Stuart was on peg 1 opposite and I wasn’t really sure how it would fish.
Typically these pegs are great for a pleasure session, but in a match they can struggle.

There was certainly plenty of fish moving around, but not necessarily feeding. I decided to focus on 3 swims, left hand margin, 12m along the right hand bank & 8m in front, feeding 6 & 8mm pellet, fishing paste.

I spent the 1st 30 minutes on the 8m line, toss potting pellet, but never had a touch. The following 30 minutes I had a carp from each of my margins and was quite relieved, because I could see a number of carp being caught elsewhere, particular Chris on peg 22

The 2nd hour was brilliant, with 6 more carp, all from the right side and I began to think I was in for a really good day. However, the remainder of the match turned into a real struggle, with only another 3 carp landed, again from the right side. I couldn’t get bite from the 8m line or the left hand margin, which was frustrating.

From what I could see most anglers where struggling during the middle part of the match, which I half expected due the bright conditions. I had considered playing around and targeting the rudd, but decided against it since 1 carp would wipe out 1hrs worth of rudd bashing.

As the match drew to a close, my gut feeling was I had framed and I knew it would be close between myself and Chris on 22, however I couldn’t see everyone and the grapevine suggested Graham & Andy, both had a "few".

As I weighed everyone in, I soon realised I would frame. By the time we got to Chris, 54-13 was the best weight, but Chris topped that with 88-3, which I knew I couldn’t beat. Overall I was pleased to finish 2nd, particularly since I only lost 2 fish all match, despite a couple who unsuccessfully tried to make a bid for freedom by diving into the reeds.

After 2 rounds, I am leading the club championship.

1st Ken Rayner 61pts
2nd Ian Pople 59
3rd Graham Beevor 56
4th Andy Lord 55

No comments: