Sunday 7 June 2009

06/06/09 - K&A Canal - Prison Pound

Weight – 28lb 8oz
Catch – 14 Bream, 4 Roach, 1 Perch.
Weather – Cool, strong easterly wind.
Water Temp– 20.0c > 19.5c


For a week or so we have seen hot sunshine, however leading up to today the weather started to cool down. Mark & I were expecting some heavy rain, instead we simply had a strong easterly wind, which would make fishing the pole difficult.


We both wanted to target the bream & tench that reside in the pound and we both had similar ideas on how we wanted to approach today. Start on the feeder, whilst letting the pole line at 11.5m settle. Both lines would be fed with groundbait, micro pellet, caster & corn, although I also loose fed 4mm pellet over my feeder line.


Mark drew 1st blood with a big bream on corn and I soon had a smaller one on maggot. After ½ hour I was 3-1 up, but we were both itching to get on the pole. As it turned out I could only get small roach, whilst Mark had a couple of bream and a crucian.


Despite the wind, I was still surprised not to have caught more on the pole, so I spent most of the session on the feeder, casting to small bush opposite, occasionally trying the pole.


After about 3 hours I had 10 Bream, but Mark was struggling and he could only catch Perch on his feeder line. The golden nugget was starting to look safe!


In the end we only stayed on for a further 90 mins, I still couldn’t catch on the pole and my feeder line had slowed, whilst Marks swim had completely died. The one thing that surprised us was the absense of tench. Although Mark had lost 1, I suspect the sudden cool weather may have put them off. I caught all my Bream on the feeder, mostly using double caster or corn.


Comparing notes at the end, although our tactics were similar there was some key differences. Firstly I was using .11 bottom, whilst Mark was using .14 & .16. Secondly Mark wasn’t loose feeding 4mm pellet over the top of his feeder line. Whether this made a difference, is difficult to say after 1 session, however I have successfully used this tactic a few times before when catching Bream, personally I think the pellet helps the bream keep searching for food.


Mark was disappointed to finished with 13lb, but I managed to pull 1 back to make it 2-3 for the year.

No comments: