Monday 9 March 2009

07/03/09 - Lands End - Match Lake

Weight – 24lb 9oz
Catch – 5 Perch, 6 Roach, 4 Carp.
Weather – Mild, mostly cloudy, breezy.
Water Temp– 8.0c > 7.5c
Match – Open – 7th overall

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If you could bottle it, it would be priceless.

17 anglers turned up today, which meant 2 would be on pegs 25 & 40 on Speci Lake. It also meant that every peg was in between 18 & 22, which I wanted to avoid.

I was happy to draw peg 13, which meant I would be largely sheltered from the forecast wind and there had been a few carp in the area recently.

As the match progressed, I became increasingly frustrated. First put in on corn towards the point of the island
I caught a carp, but I couldn’t catch another. So I switched to the left hand margin on caster hoping for silvers, which would boost my catch whilst I waited for the carp to show up. Surprisingly I struggled, only catching sporadically, including a 2lb perch and a 3lb carp on double caster.

To make things happen I dumped maggot & caster by the aerator, hoping for some tench, but this produced another carp on double maggot, but I simply couldn’t string any number of fish together.

My final carp came 45 mins from the end on pellet, towards the point of the island. But again, I couldn’t catch another, although I would have fully expected to catch at least 1 more before the end, but never did.

As for the hindsight, should I have just sat it out for carp? Although I finished 7th, I was only 9lb away from 3rd, so effectively 2 carp. Having said that, I would normally have expected to catch 10lb of silvers down the edge. I’ll have to put it down to a bad day at the office.

Jamie Dyke won the match from peg 7 with 95lb. Apparently there were loads of carp boshing in his peg as he arrived. Solid! Anton Page had 5 carp in the last hour from peg 6 to finish with 48lb & 2nd. Eric Fouracre was 3rd with 33lb from peg 15, which included 2 carp in the last 45mins. Frustrating.

No comments: